Need help timing!!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help timing!!

Hey guys,

I had a blown head gasket so I took apart my 98 4.6 Expedition. I marked everything and took pics before proceeding to remove anyghing. Problem is, when I looked at my camshafts they weren't 90° to my cylinder heads when I took apart the timing cover even though the Crankshaft pulley time mark was dead on 12 o'clock. Anyways, driver side was accurate but the passenger side was off by about 3-5 links facing in-ward. So instead of facing outward at 90° it was facing pretty much straight up to the sky.

Alright, keeping this in mind I marked everything and put it all back together just as it was. Truck started right up but there was a clear knocking sound coming from drivers side in 2-3 second intervals.

So I took it apart again only to see that the chain isn't where I left it. So I bought new timing tensioners and guides since the sprockets and chains looked absolutely fine. Problem is, I have no idea how I should time her now that she was off when I took her apart. Should I just line up the Crankshaft to 12 o'clock, take off the camshafts, place them exactly at 90° to the cylinder heads facing outwards and make sure the marks I made at the ends on the chains sit right on the timing marks on the cams and sprockets? Or can I just rotate the cams (while the chains are off) to 90° then set the chains?

Need some help here guys. I've checked out a lot of timing forums but can't seem to find out what to do when the chains are already off.

Thanks guys.

Mo

Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New timing chains will have links that are marked for where to put them on the crank and cam gears. Assuming you're reusing your old chains, you simply need to put a link on the crank gear. Start counting the links from there (don't count the link on the crank) and the 29th link is what goes on the cam gear.

An alternate way is to lay the chain flat on a table and mark each end.

Or, just buy new chains and they'll be marked with black or copper links.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you had a knocking noise you more than likely bent a valve when you started the engine.These 4.6 engines are not freewheeling they are interference meaning the piston will hit the valves if the timing is not set right. I wouldn't waste my time with the chains right now you have to determine the integrity of the pistons and valves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help timing!!