Coolant brown with sediment (rock like)

Old 06-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant brown with sediment (rock like)

I recently purchased a 2000 f150 5.4 4x4 (770 bifuel series). Has 160k on the odometer. The truck runs very well, with the exception of on occasion, the shift lever will read P and it'll be in R. Only had to experience that once to remember to double check!

I decided to replace the oil filter adapter gasket as I had an annoying oil leak. Doing so, I drained the coolant and noticed that it was brown. Something I have never experienced. I took a look in the resivoir and noticed that there too the coolant was brown and there was almost.... Scaling, for lack of a better word; on the walls of the resivoir.

Puzzled and concerned I removed the resivoir, threw some water and purple power in there and gave it a good shaking. When pouring out, I placed my hand under the stream and caught what seemed to be rocks at first. When rubbed the build up breaks up into a fine paste.

From searching the web I've found that dexcool could be the culprit?? The motor runs fine, I know there's a chance of exhaust leak and head gasket failure with these symptoms just wanted some feedback.

Will post pictures...

Thank you in advanced for your time and consideration,

Adam.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could have been some kind of stop leak additive...
Wouldnt hurt to do a flush on the whole system. Just one of those things you do when you buy a used vehicle. Change all the fluids and check up on maintenance items like plugs and fuel filter.... Go through and give the maf, iac and if your feeling worthy, a throttle body cleaning. Then enjoy the next 100k.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant brown with sediment (rock like)