Adding Horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Horsepower

i know this sounds like a childish question but what can i do to add horsepower? 2010 F150 XLT, 5.4L

all suggestions are welcome, thanks guys

Old 05-29-2014, 04:30 AM
True power; turbo/supercharge. Otherwise, just your everyday bolt-on's and a good custom tune. I'm sure other people on here have a few other ideas to throw at you. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2014, 04:37 AM
buy a 2011. power went from 300hp in the 5.4 in 2010 to 360 in 5.0 in 2011. Also, my cumulative mpg in my 5.4 was around 14. my 5.0 gets 18 (higher if I behave myself and stay on the Hwy).....I couldn't resist, please don't hate me.

MPT performance will sell you an SCT flash device and load custom tunes for your 5.4L. That will give you some extra horses. A cold air intake is worth around 10hp. A good exhaust is worth a few more horses (think borla).
If your vehicle is flex fuel, e85 is worth about 15 horses over 87 octane and would be your cheapest power booster, but you mpg rating will drop like a rock on e85 (think 11 to 12 mpg with your 5.4L).

I had a bad experience with my 5.4, so if I were you I would be conservative in whatever I do to it. The engine will cost about 8k counting labor, taxes, and fees when you blow it (found out that the hard way, which is why I have a 5.0 now...and the payment that goes with it)

Old 05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on your budget and how much horsepower you are looking for.

A custom tune and exhaust will be noticable but a supercharger will put you back in your seat and set the tires on fire.

So, you will need to figure out your goal and how much you want to spend.

I looked at a SC for mine but I am happy with the work I have done so far and down the road I will find a newer truck with a 6.2.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:34 AM

As the owner of a 5.4 with long tube headers, no cats, and custom tuning, there's not much you can do. I noticed barely anything from these mods. If you wanted to do long tubes, tunes, e-fans, and pulleys (I wouldn't do pulleys), you'd notice something. But at that point, you'd be closing in on supercharger money. Go forced induction or nothing if you actually want legitimate, noticeable power increases.

Exhaust work sounds good, intakes whistle, tunes help slightly with throttle response and shift points, but none do much in my opinion. Others seem to like their custom tunes more than me, and I do think an SCT fom MPT or 5star would be your best bet.

I'd say get a 5.0, but that's probably not reasonable. Yours has 320 HP compared to my 300, if I'm not mistaken, but the 360 in the 5oh blows it out of the water.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 05-29-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Like KMAC found out, most mods yield very small gains, if any at all. They are an accumulation of small gains that rarely will you feel in the ol' Buttdyno. The biggest gain that you will feel, change the gears in the differential. If you have oversize tires, you'll need to figure the current diameter versus the original diameter and find the percentage of difference. Then you'll need to find the current gear ratio and multiply it by the percentage to get the truck back to factory. If you want more power, add more percentage or just go to the next standard ratio. Most often these bloated pigs we drive are running 3.55 gears with far too large tires for fuel mileage. They should be running 3.90s to 4.10 gears. Add larger tires and you need to be around 4.30 or 4.56. The Tundra, for an example, runs 4.30 gears from the factory for the leverage the deeper gears brings.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
As the owner of a 5.4 with long tube headers, no cats, and custom tuning, there's not much you can do. I noticed barely anything from these mods. If you wanted to do long tubes, tunes, e-fans, and pulleys (I wouldn't do pulleys), you'd notice something. But at that point, you'd be closing in on supercharger money. Go forced induction or nothing if you actually want legitimate, noticeable power increases.

Exhaust work sounds good, intakes whistle, tunes help slightly with throttle response and shift points, but none do much in my opinion. Others seem to like their custom tunes more than me, and I do think an SCT fom MPT or 5star would be your best bet.

I'd say get a 5.0, but that's probably not reasonable. Yours has 320 HP compared to my 300, if I'm not mistaken, but the 360 in the 5oh blows it out of the water.
Couldnt say it better myself Kent

My 5.4 sucks big time its just a big slow truck that can't brake looking for an upgrade

Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Labnerd brought up a great one that I usually remember - regearing. If you're 2wd, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but it can be almost $2k for 4x4s. I'm stoked about running 4.88s with 35s soon. My 3.55s suck.

I did the headers almost entirely for sound, and the tuner for the headers and lack of cats, so I'm happy. If I was looking for power, I'd be pissed.

Quick Reply: Adding Horsepower