which sp wires and plugs on 351 windsor

Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
which sp wires and plugs on 351 windsor

'96 351 Windsor with only 126k. in the near future I would like to install a set of new spark plug wires and plugs. Last I checked, none of the boots seemed to be cracked. I checked the plugs last summer when I bought the truck and they looked fine. But never asked the previous owner if he changed out the wires yet. Basically because i'm lame and a dumb ***.

This truck has a big lift and has 35" tires which I will need to replace as well, IF I can find a job when I get back to Oregon. Just thinking of trying to get the best spark I can at 125K.

Will perhaps do this on a budget or wait, and I know the saying if it aint broken don't fix it. Motor runs great at stop lights, can't even feel the truck move it's so smooth. Any wire and plug kits, brands, make model etc....is very much appreciated. Most all my driving is short trips on the hwy going fishing on the river. If I end up taking a job in Medford, then there will be city driving.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:54 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Autolite copper plugs and Motorcraft wires. Change the plugs every 25k.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 PM
thank you very much glc. I see auto zone has them 56.00 not bad. However, they have the xp Tridium plug around 6.99 and the double platinum 4.99 and the reg. copper for 1.99. Being I usually travel around 50 mph down the hwy and along the river, would I not be using the more expensive tridium, plug to IT'S DIS-ADVANTAGE? or should I just stick to the 2.00 plug? will do asap.

correct that...driving that speed and short distances, might be a DISADvantage. sorry

Last edited by grizzeyes; 05-23-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The 5.8 was always a problem child. They're known to be very picky about parts used, especially ignition parts. I've had great luck with Standard Motor ignition parts used on a 5.8. I'd suggest the severe duty plug wires. They're 8.5 mm and have ceramic sleeves for heat protection to 1750F as I remember. The insulation is silicone and come with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. I'd also suggest the Standard Motor distributor cap with the brass terminals. You can buy a dizzy cap with aluminum terminals and not pay much for it but if you get 10,000 miles from it yer lucky.The brass will make 50,000 miles fairly easy. And while yer at it replace the rotor with a brass contact unit. As said above, Autolite plugs and pick a metal as they all work fairly decent in a 5.8. I like the fine wire Iridium best. All of these parts are not a cheap date but will last for a long time. I'm more into using the parts that last the longest cause I have a tendency to be lazy and not wanting to do it again real soon. Yer money, yer truck.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Awesome Labnerd, I added a few comments above. If you can expound on my question of (if i'm not opening up the motor a lot and just easy hwy driving would I not be using the Iridium plugs to it's best specifications? or in other words, not getting the plug as hot as it should be for better performance? and do the tips come into play, according to what kind of driving? I too agree, get some good parts drive and relax longer. Plus the truck will be fed better. Will do exactly as you say and got it all done. The dizzy cap? Is that that small pancake type cover that goes over the rotor and cap? Can't wait to get on it. I'm in WA state, so i'll buy them when i get back into Oregon June 3rd. save a lot of tax money. Thanks

Last edited by grizzeyes; 05-22-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If Labnerd says to get the Autolite fine wire iridiums, get them. #XP24, $5.17 each from rockauto.com.

Standard #69423 wires, $76.79.

"Dizzy" = distributor. Brass parts:

Cap - United FC801X, $11.54
Rotor = United FR810, $1.79

Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 AM
thanks glc, very much I was gonna ask those questions you save me from it. Your the man as usual. Thanks for helping me take care of my truck guys. I will be sure to let you know how the truck drives when i'm finished.

p.s. when you guys spoke about a distributer and that = distributor, were you guys talking about the A1 Cardone distributers? them things are heavy with gears and not sure i'll want to spend that much. I couldn't find those words anywhere.

Last edited by grizzeyes; 05-23-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:19 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
On the Iridium plugs, they have less resistance in the plug. As such, if there is any weakness in the older ignition system you'll probably never know it. Iridium plugs can make a tired ignition system run like new. So more of the energy is actually turned into a spark than say a copper plug. They should last at least 50,000 miles and probably longer in that 5.8.
Dizzy= distributor. Dizzy cap = distributor cap which looks like this one:

Rotor will look like this one but make sure all of the metal is brass.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:55 AM
ah! why do you guys call it dizzy? heck, I thought it was a brand. ok. nuff said. I was hoping you guys meant just a cap n rotor. this is gonna be fun. just take my time. What do you mechanics use as far as any ointment if you put any on the plugs before screwing them in? or do you put anything on any of the parts, like the boots, but i guess if they are silicone these days ya might not need nothing. I guess when I get all the parts i'll ask another quick question in June. have a good nite

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which sp wires and plugs on 351 windsor