Oxygen Sensor Stuck, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxygen Sensor Stuck, Help!

I'm running out of ideas to get my driver's side upstream O2 sensor out. I have the Auto Zone kit with the special sockets. Yesterday I turned the socket almost to the point that it spun on the sensor. I used quite a bit of the wd40 rust release penetrant. Tried propane torch as well.

Today I put a hose clamp on the outside of the socket to help prevent it from spreading and I'm still getting nowhere. Tried hitting the sensor with a hammer and punch. Tried running the engine 10 minutes to heat it up then put the propane torch to it all while leaving my ratchet wedged in there to keep torque on it.

Does anybody have any other tricks?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I like WD40 I don't think it works well to remove rusted parts. You would be better off with Liquid Wrench or something like it that. Soak it let it sit overnight and try again. If that doesn't work heat is your only other chance. Heat it up red hot and it will come out. I honestly have not replaced too many O2's but I have always needed to heat to get them out. The guy that did my exhaust told me heat is the only answer to get them out and 9 times out of 10 you destroy them doing so.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just take it to a muffler shop. Pay them to do it.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When that happens to me, I just cut the wires off the sensor so I can get a regular 7/8" or 22mm socket with a breaker bar on there. Works every time. If space is limited, you can use a box-end wrench. If using a box-end wrench, it helps if you hit the wrench with a hammer. The special O2 sensor socket isn't that strong. It it's a really odd area to get to, try a crows foot wrench.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 PM
I'm gonna borrow an impact wrench and try that tonight. I wondered about the WD40 too but its their new penetrating oil. I'm sure there's better stuff.

Will the truck be OK to run about 30 miles with the sensor disconnected if I have to take it somewhere?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:39 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Yes, it will run in a default mode. It will be rich but 30 miles won't be an issue.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Thank you. Impact wrench doesn't seem to be doing the trick and now my air compressor is acting up. I should probably quit while I'm ahead!

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor Stuck, Help!