VERY LOW OIL PRESSURE 4.6 f150 HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY LOW OIL PRESSURE 4.6 f150 HELP!!!!!!

Hello. I am searching for answers about my truck. . Currently has 178k, 2003 F150 4x4.

Was making lots of noises, ticking, knocking....etc chain slap.

Replaced chains, guides and tensioners. All noises GONE! Guides were so worn that the actual tensioners were rubbing the chains as well.

Problem is low oil pressure. Cold start shows about 60psi but after fully warm, drops below 10, needle almost bottoms out on a manual gauge i screwed inplace of sending unit.
Reving engine slighly increases few psi, not what I expect.
If I turn off the engine for a minute or so, pressure increases to 30 then quickly (within minutes) slowly creaps back down to dangerouly low levels. No noises ....YET, im not driving until I fix it.
Runs very good though.
Oil light was coming on also before timing chain job, figured it was leaking through tensioners.

From my research, worst case scenerio bad main bearing clearance, then pump, then pick up tube. Can somebody guide me what to expect/do?
Currently has 5w20, K&N oil filter. (thought its comparable/superior to the motorcraft???? not sure) But what I removed from it was a Penzoil filter., cut it open and looked normal without sludge or chunks.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might need to check and make sure oil pump pick up tube isn't partially restricted by chain guide material and/or other pieces.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by JCR 56
Might need to check and make sure oil pump pick up tube isn't partially restricted by chain guide material and/or other pieces.

Would pickup tube clogging fit the symptoms? Or would oil pressure be low all the time. ?

This is a 4x4..... will have to drop something or another to get to pan, front diff housing.,, brace.... something!

but I'm willing for sure. would the oil pump be ruled out with current symptoms?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Solved!!!

Update:
Pick up screen seems to be the problem. Lots of restriction , probably at least 80% plugged with timing chain guide material.

Values after pickup tube cleaned:
Cold start--- 85 psi
Operating temps (25 mile trip)---- 50 psi on highway doing 60 mph
Idle in gear --- 18-22 psi

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. THESE FORUMS ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL.
I have pictures of the oil pick up tube but can't seem to figure out how to attach????

Last edited by aminoacid; 05-19-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:43 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 05-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aminoacid
Update:
Pick up screen seems to be the problem. Lots of restriction , probably at least 80% plugged with timing chain guide material.

Values after pickup tube cleaned:
Cold start--- 85 psi
Operating temps (25 mile trip)---- 50 psi on highway doing 60 mph
Idle in gear --- 18-22 psi

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. THESE FORUMS ARE EXTREMELY HELPFUL.
I have pictures of the oil pick up tube but can't seem to figure out how to attach????
Glad you found the answers needed. The oil pump pickup tube seems to be frequently overlooked when addressing timing chain issues. You're one of the few that saved their engine. The ones that have come to me were already destroyed.

I would recommend going back in and checking your new timing components to make sure they weren't damaged.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:36 PM
PICTURES ARE in MY PROFILE / ALBUM

pics below with LINKS

Last edited by aminoacid; 05-19-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:43 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...34-photo-1.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...36-photo-3.jpg

This oil pan didn't look too good, was a very, very fine metal "dust" in the oil, Almost like if any of you guys mixed automotive metallic paint ...looks a little like that.

I hope this doesn't mean motor will be trashed soon.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...35-photo-2.jpg

Last edited by aminoacid; 05-19-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No doubt that the life of the engine has been shortened. But the two key things to check are compression and oil pressure. If they're both good, don't lose any sleep over it. Using synthetic oil will certainly extend the engine's life regardless. I use Mobil1 EP and change it every 7,500 miles. Whatever you do, don't deviate from the recommended weight and a quality filter. And never use any oil additives. If they were actually helpful, the owner's manual would tell you to use it. If you feel you have a situation that warrants deviating from the recommended oil or using additives, then address the mechanical issue. If your oil pressure and compression are healthy, along with your new timing components, the worst you may run into is a collapsed lash adjuster.

But again, if all checks out, don't worry about it. These are very tough engines that can take a beating. So instead of lasting 500,000 miles, maybe it goes to 250,000.

Quick Reply: VERY LOW OIL PRESSURE 4.6 f150 HELP!!!!!!