Best way to learn Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Best way to learn Engine Rebuild

I just have a question for some of the bigger gearheads on here.

So I decided I am going to go through with my plan to have my exhaust done by me. Since I have wanted to learn to weld for quite some time, I got the info from the local Vo-Tech school and I will be signing up for the Fall Class. After practicing and taking their entry level and then Advanced welding, I'm going to do my exhaust myself.

This brings me to my next point/Inquiry.

How did many of you learn how to rebuild and build motors? I want to eventually build a built motor for my truck and I have a few restoration projects/ motor swaps I want to do down the road. My plan is to utilize the local Tech programs for info and then keep building off it. I'm thinking of starting with a small engine repair book and work with something like a small Briggs and Stratton and rebuild it. Gaskets, refinish etc. Am I on the right track? No one in my family is really into this stuff, so it's on of those things I have to learn for myself and then teach it to my own kids one day. I saw on Amazon their is a rebuild book on the 4.6 and 5.4 but it's for 2v's.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Read all you can and I'm sure there are videos today for everything. Taking a course is great too, but the best way is after you have learned as much as you can reading, actually do the work. I started as a kid handing tools and parts to my Dad when he put new rings and bearings in his 6 cylinder 1948 Chevrolet pickup. I watched some rebuilds at the gas station as a teenager back when they repaired cars at gas stations. Then at age 19 I rebuilt my 265 cu in V8 in my 1956 Chevrolet convertible. I rebuilt my 1965 Chevelle's 327 cu in V8 in 1968 at the Army craft shop. Later I rebuilt a 1972 455 cu in my Pontiac Grandville. I did my own repairs on everything automotive for 30 yrs until I started working on the road. I still do as much as I can. Today's cars are so complicated though compared to what I used to work on. The last time I pulled my Chevelle engine, it took me one hour. Now with all the wires, hoses, and everything else it takes longer to pull an engine than it used to take to pull it, rebuild it, and put it back. Funny thing, since I started buying Fords, I haven't needed to rebuild an engine!!!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
youtube and forums

I did the whole Ford ASSET program and I learned a whole lot, but they won't teach you how to rebuild engines, usually engines at dealerships are R&R.

invest in some quality feeler gauges and plastigages along with quality sockets and wrenches.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I think it would be a very valuable skill to have. My thing is, the more I know, the less I have to pay someone else and worry about their mess ups.

I keep reading how "easy" the GM 350's are. Might be a cool project to eventually restore a 70s step side. My dad used to own a '73 back then (bought new). Big fan of the older Gm stuff.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was a tool and part handler for my Dad on his garage projects too.. Then I started messing around with those *** gas powered motors for airplanes that you flew on the end of a pair of strings and you went in a circle and you raised and lowered the rear elevators to maneuver it.. That was a blast! I'd bolt the motors on the back of toy cars and trucks and let them go down the street!! Had to watch out for that prop big time!

Then I worked on small lawnmower engines and mounted them on wooden "go carts". Rebuilt the carbs mostly, but took the heads off and such just cause I was curious.

Overhauled my fist real engine when I was around 18 or 19. The 400 in my 1971 Ford LTD needed work.. Tore it apart and had the heads done at a shop and had the pistons and rods checked. New bearings, rings, pumps, gaskets, cam, lifters and while still basically stock, that 400 really moved that LTD pretty good!

So, it's just getting your hands dirty and pulling stuff apart and putting it back together and nothing is better when it fires up on the first try and runs!

I've not really messed with these new engines, so that would be a whole new learning curve for sure! Other than changing the plugs and replace a part here and there, I've never (and probably never will) tear into one of these new engines...

Good luck and have fun!

Mitch

Old 05-18-2014, 12:08 PM

I'm jealous that you guys had this type of experience. It really saves you a ton of money over time and gives that satisfaction of being able to do things yourself. I like trying to do most things myself anyways.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt this will be much help, but it's kind of neat to watch if you've never seen a engine tore apart before

Old 05-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a bit of a kindred spirit, in that I've had no mentor in automotive maintenance, but am having fun learning to do some myself. I want to keep my ol girl running until I die, and am studying in preparation for, and looking forward to, the inevitable rebuild of my 351.

I learned from early experience rebuilding aircraft engines that there is nothing particularly difficult about a rebuild...it 'ain't nothing but work'.

I've discovered several excellent videos on Youtube that show the entire process, often completed by complete beginners. They are a great learning experience.

One useful reference point I came across was a Votec competition between teams rebuilding 302s. The winners did the build in 17 minutes

Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing I have found with all the stuff I've worked on is that it is almost impossible to put a Honda motor together wrong. Everything on them only goes one way and if it doesn't then it has marks on it to keep you straight.

The first motor I rebuilt was my 65 Honda 250 Scrambler (I loved that bike) they were the earlier version of the 305 Scramblers. Some of the old farts here will remember those bikes, they made Honda. I had the shop do it once then I blew it up again and thought what the heck it can't be much harder than my mini bike!

Motorcycle engines are a good place to get your feet wet because they have the transmission and clutch all together with the "engine". Buy an old junk multi cylinder motorcycle and take it apart, rotate it as you do it so you can see how everything works, then put it back together. All the principles are the same just different configurations. You don't even have to try to make it run because it's just a practice motor.

When I was a kid, a friend's Grandfather had a shop. He brought over an old 6 cylinder grease ball worn out motor to my buddy's house and told us to have at it. That was some of the best/dirtiest time we had "working" on that engine. We never put it back together and his Grandfather hauled it off when we were "done", but it was a great learning experience.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the input guys. It's cool to see how everyone got their start. You're giving me some good ideas.

Quick Reply: Best way to learn Engine Rebuild