1990 Ford V8 460 fuel pump problem- help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 Ford V8 460 fuel pump problem- help!

OK, so this is actually on a F250 but I'm hoping the advice will basically be the same.

This is on my grandpa's truck that I'm trying to fix. He passed away this week. It pumps NO fuel. My uncle says he had the fuel pump replaced but I'm skeptical of that. (the "mechanic" he took it to is shady)

I have tested the fuel pump relay.

terminal 4 has 12V.
terminal 2 has 12V.

When I jumper terminals 3 and 4 with a paper clip, the fuel pump will audibly hum when your ear is to the tank. The paper clip gets too hot to touch. I'm guessing that means it is drawing a lot of amperage and that the fuel pump is bad?

terminal 1 initially shows .8 V at key on, and after 1 second, it has 12V at key on, engine off. (I'm guessing this is the EEC relay sending power to the fuel pump relay?)

terminal 1 shows .8V while cranking. (thought it was supposed to show 12V while cranking????)

I have pressed the inertia switch.

The truck does have spark as it starts on starting fluid. The fuel filter is currently disconnected so that I can see if the fuel pump is pumping any fuel at all. There is fuel in the tank. The fuel gauge is pegged full.

If I do have to drop the fuel tank, can anyone tell me if I can do this with the truck on the ground? Or do I have to raise it up on jack stands? or take it to a mechanic so they can put it on a lift? thanks!

Old 04-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed the problem... dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: 1990 Ford V8 460 fuel pump problem- help!