3v cam phaser life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3v cam phaser life expectancy

What is the life expectancy of the 3v cam phaser? The reason im asking is I have about 191k on my stock ones and they do not make noise. Im planning on doing timing chains and guides when the truck gets to 200k, and was wondering if I should do the phasers too. I can see it being a "while your there" deal, but it could also be a "If it isnt broke" deal too, lol. Opinions and advice welcome.
Thanks!

Old 04-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well its anyone's guess how long those components will last. With regular oil changes you could go another 100,000 miles or more on all those parts. The chains and guides will last forever as long as the chain tensioner's maintain their integrity. It is when the chain tensioners lose control that the chains start slapping and that condition will wear the guides down. You may very well never have to change any of those parts for the life of the vehicle. When they start to go bad they will make noise and then I would go in and make replacements until then just enjoy the truck.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:47 PM
The guides are toast. I do have chain slap on start up, so im for-sure doing those components.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well if the chains are slapping then it should be noisy... and with that condition I would not wait another 9,000 miles before I made a repair. When the chain starts slapping it can start shreading the nylon on the chain guides and that material will drop down into the oil pan and can clog the screen in the oil pickup tube. So go to www.RockAuto.com and buy a timing chain replacement kit. It will have everything you need tensioners, guides, chain, except the phaser's etc. Then while you are in there you can change everything if you want.... that's your call. Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 04-25-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:33 PM
the tensioner is loosing pressure from sitting once the truck fires up it might rattle for a few seconds until the tensioner tightens the chain. My old truck did this but I can see after over time the guides would be beat and break. If it was my truck I would just go a head and do everything while you got it apart especially if you plan on keeping it until the rest of the truck falls apart.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Well if the chains are slapping then it should be noisy... and with that condition I would not wait another 9,000 miles before I made a repair. When the chain starts slapping it can start shreading the nylon on the chain guides and that material will drop down into the oil pan and can clog the screen in the oil pickup tube. So go to www.RockAuto.com and buy a timing chain replacement kit. It will have everything you need tensioners, guides, chain, except the phaser's etc. Then while you are in there you can change everything if you want.... that's your call. Good luck.
Its had the noise on startup for the last 50-60k. Another 9k (8k now) isnt going to hurt anything. When i get it apart, and if i see the guides are shreded, ill pull the pan and check the pickup tube

Originally Posted by 05FordGuyFX4
the tensioner is loosing pressure from sitting once the truck fires up it might rattle for a few seconds until the tensioner tightens the chain. My old truck did this but I can see after over time the guides would be beat and break. If it was my truck I would just go a head and do everything while you got it apart especially if you plan on keeping it until the rest of the truck falls apart.
Thats what i was thinking. Since im there, i might as well do it. But they are pretty expensive and mine seem to be working fine. Even though I've used 20w50 since I've owned the truck. I do plan on keeping her awhile longer

Quick Reply: 3v cam phaser life expectancy