Misfire on 5.4 Liter

Old 04-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire on 5.4 Liter

Hey guys, thanks to all that contribute to these forums. I have used them a lot over the years.

I have a question on a problem I am having on my 2007 F250 with the 5.4L gas engine. I have a misfire that occurs only when accelerating into overdrive going up hill. For example, entering a onramp that is up hill going about 60-70MPH. The engine light starts blinking and I loose power. When this first happened I thought it could be the plugs, I bought this truck used at about 150K miles. So I bought the plug removal tool in case I broke one as I have read about. Luckily I got every plug out with out breaking. I Changed all the plugs out with motor craft plugs. After this, Exact same problem still there. Next I tried changing out the coils. Still, same problem is there. I have only had the engine light stay one 2 times, each time I had it checked. The first time it was misfire on cylinder 2. So at that point, I thought I would try swapping the coils with cylinder 3 and next time it happens see if the problem follows the coil or the plug. Well, it happened again, but this time it was cylinder 4! So much for that idea.

This is a pretty intermittent problem. It does not happen everytime, but when it does it is ALWAYS right about 60 mph ( going into over drive) and going up hill, so when its under a little more load and normal. 90 % of the time it runs great with no problems. Most of the time the engine light will blink for 15 seconds or so and go off once I am up to speed and not accelerating anymore.

I am running out of ideas, and I am not one to just start swapping out parts. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
99% of the time that's spark plugs and/or coils. What brand coils did you use? Did you use dielectric grease inside the boots, but not on the contact springs?

Have you tried putting some Techron in the gas? That would help if the injectors are dirty.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:39 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Use your scan tool to look at Mode $06, TID$53 data to see individual cylinder misfire counts. You probably have two or more coils that are starting to break down internally.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:24 AM
I had this exact problem. First I changed out all of the plugs with oem motorcraft. The truck ran smoother but the misfire was still there when going up a hill. I then bought 8 motorcraft cop's from Rockauto and this cured my problem. Truck now runs like it did the day I drove it off the lot with 43 miles on it.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
It is possible it is the coils. I have to admit, I did cheap out on the coils. I bought them on Amazon from AC auto parts, so they are not Ford coils. They did have good reviews on the 5.4 on Amazon, however they could still be the issue.

Another thing to note is every time I have this misfire, it is on the passenger side (cylinder 1-4). I can actually hear a small ticking noise when this happens. Also, when I changed the coils, a few of the plugs that go to the coils are missing the actual clip that clips them on the coils. The plug is still in good shape, it just does not have the secure clip that is on them anymore, but they do seat all the way down on the connector ( I think that is a terrible design to use this cheap plastic clips on the coils). I would think though if it was a bad connection on the coil I would have more issues, not just when going up hills accelerating at high speeds.

Also, it seems unlikely to me even with the non Ford coils that I would have the exact issues with the misfire, but I have seen stranger things. The Ford coils I have found are about 50 a piece, which is why I went with a cheaper option, but I may regret that of course. Are the Ford coils really that much better?

Appreciate all your comments and ideas.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 10:50 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You need to either replace the broken connectors or zip tie them to the coils.

The only cheap coils that I think I'd trust on a 3V are Araparts. Otherwise, I'd use Motorcraft (DG511) or Visteon (60-1005).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Misfire on 5.4 Liter