460 stored

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 stored

I bought a new carbureted 460. Never started. Stored covered since 1988 in 70 degree room. What would I need to do before installing it? Haven't figured out yet what its going in. How much rebuild would it most likely need?

Old 04-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I doubt you would need to do anything. Prime the oil pump with an air ratchet. Turn it over by hand make sure it moves freely.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squirt some oil in each cylinder before turning it over just to avoid the possibility of dry rings and scratching the cylinder walls. Temp controlled room or not, I would inspect all rubber components just in case. It's more about humidity/moisture also, not so much temperature as to whether there is the possibility of internal rust or deteriorated parts. The fact is, the motor is out and easy to work on so check it over thoroughly and replace any hoses, wires or gasket that could be a problem down the road. There should be no problems

Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree with the others about how to prep the motor. You need to assume that whatever assembly oil was used is dried up by now. If you have a motor stand turn it upside down and remove the oil pan and give everything a squirt of oil before you try turning it over. A pan gasket is way cheaper than a galled crankshaft.

Quick Reply: 460 stored