Pinging/detonation? (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinging/detonation? (Video)

Please view this video and tell me what you guys think this is.

This is mostly noticable after the truck reaches operating temperature. It does occationally make a loud pinging/ticking sound right after start up (cold engine). The truck runs poorly, has a rough idle (not always), and is gutless. Gas mileage is poor (12 to 13mpg).

Things that have been done since problem started:

- Timing chains, tensioners, and guides replaced.
- Both cam phasers and VCT solenoids replaced.
- All lash adjusters (lifters) have been replaced.
- Cams and cam followers inspected and all in good shape.
- Replaced all plugs and COPs. (Motorcraft!)
- Fuel filter changed.
- Replaced stock cats with Magnaflow hi-flows.

Nothing changed after doing any of these. I run a VMP custom performance tune (93 octane), so I always have 93 in the tank. When I return it to stock tune, it gets worse/louder. I use the proper motorcraft oil and motorcraft filter.

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think its detonation. Remove your serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away. May be a belt tensioner pulley, or idler pulley bearing, alternator, P/S. Not sure what that noise would have to do with poor fuel economy or engine performance. Anyway I would start by removing the serp and go from there.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
I don't think its detonation. Remove your serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away. May be a belt tensioner pulley, or idler pulley bearing, alternator, P/S. Not sure what that noise would have to do with poor fuel economy or engine performance. Anyway I would start by removing the serp and go from there.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks

Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM
No luck with removing the serpentine. No change. I'm starting to think its a bad PCM. I have no CELs either. How do I check for a bad PCM? I was thinking I could check my base timing, and if that is off, then that would be a PCM problem right?

I'll try to get some better videos posted.

Oh, I also did a compression and vaccum check. Everything checked normal. It was not a leak down check though. I think I'll try that next. Also, I changed the cats because I suspected they were clouged, because they were not running at normal temp. If they were really clouged, maybe the heads got to hot and burned up a valve. But I think that would be evident on a regular compression test.

More to come...

Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 PM
Alright, so I picked up a leak down tester yesterday and did a leak down on all cylinders. I got the engine to operating temp, pulled all plugs, found TDC for #1 cylinder, set tester, tested #1, and then just followed the firing order for the rest. Rotating the engine 90 degrees clockwise between each one. All cylinders show 70 to 80% leak down! I thought to myself, how can I have 70 to 80% leak down in all cylinders and still be running with no codes? My tester must be bad.

Well, I decided to hook up a few of the cylinders straight to the air compressor (100psi), and see if I could hear anything.

This is what I found on cylinders 1,3,7,6, and 4. Let me know what you think, but I'm thinking I gonna need a rebuild or a new motor.

Note: These videos and pictures were taken after the engine had cooled a bit. They were all showing 70 to 80% at operating temp.

Cylinder 1:

Old 04-13-2014, 12:21 PM

Quick Reply: Pinging/detonation? (Video)