2007 5.4 liter noise at idle, with video

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So just today my truck started with this noise. I started it up and went back in the house for a couple of minutes. When I came out, there it was. It has just over 112,000 miles. It seems loudest from the drivers side front wheel. It's still pretty loud from above with the hood open though. It's hard to say but it seems to be coming from lower down on the engine rather than the top end. It does this at idle, but as soon as you give it any gas, it stops. Other than the noise, I think it's running fine. It did seem to maybe be struggling a tiny bit more than normal under moderate acceleration today, but maybe that's psychological. No stumbling or roughness. After a ten mile drive it was still there. To me, it sounds a bit different than the videos I've watched of trucks with the typical valve timing solenoid or cam phaser sounds.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Sounds like my issue trhe way you describe it, but by the sound of it mine is alot louder, I have my cam position sensor unplugged and it doesnt do it anymore when I come to stop lights, if you figure it out please let me know because id be glad to try it on my truck, i am praying for you lol

Old 03-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks, lol.

I also have been burning oil for the last 5,000 or so miles. Not enough to see blue exhaust smoke, but enough that you can smell it. Especially when in reverse, as I back through the fumes, but also if you're sitting still with windows open. Last oil change the dipstick read just a bit below halfway between full and add, but I only drained a bit over 4.5 quarts out.

All in all I'm not too pleased. The truck has never been run hard. Never towed anything other than a small trailer with about 1,000lbs of ATVs and gear, and that was just twice. I change my oil right at every 5k miles and have used Motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend and FL-820S filter every single time.

I was expecting some of the smaller issues I've had since I hit 100k a year and a half ago, like the steering int. shaft, a wheel bearing, power steering line, shifter cable, and window regulator. I was certainly not expecting the engine to start acting this tired at this early an age. My boss just traded his '05 Lariat S'crew in with over 260k on it and it ran fine. I was hoping for 200k out of this truck before any major failures but now I'm wondering if I'll see 150k....or if I'll keep it at all. It's a shame because it was so trouble free and still looked & drove brand new until just after 100k. Now it just feels like a beat up "old" truck.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 PM
I hate this for you and me and a few other people that seem to have this symptoms but no answer, like I said please lets all work together and stay in contact, my email is ryanreasons@hotmail.com, oif you dont mind email me and we can trade things as we go, and maybe between you me, and this 6 other people I email weekly we can all toghter maybe figure something out
Do you have any codes showing up? Or have you had it tested for any codes?

Old 03-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Sure. No I have no dash lights and I have not checked for codes. I've got access to a scanner though and I'll try checking soon.

Strange thing is, after driving it more yesterday, the noise was gone. Well, either gone or just not loud enough to be heard over the regular noises these motors make.

I'm really hoping the later year 5.4's don't have these issues. My wife's daily driver is an '11 Expedition. My truck has been paid off for a couple of years now and if need be I can cut my losses and move on (although getting a good trade in value will be tough with a noise like that coming from it GRRRR!) but we really want to get another 5-6 years out of her Expy because she loves it and it's perfect for us with our 3 kids.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Ive got the Same problem its stumped me.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Get a mechanics stethoscope. You can pick one up at harbor freight for about $4
Or the old broom stick to the ear works. Try and pin point it. Settle down... no need to consider dumping it yet. Honestly, it doesnt seem like anything severe. Could even be a loud injector amplifying through the exhaust side, exhaust leak or something else minor. Just poke around and see if you can narrow it to one area. Sounds like a loud injector to me. Never hurts to check and make sure your plugs are tight either.

Quick Reply: 2007 5.4 liter noise at idle, with video