5.4 3V VCT Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 3V VCT Question

Hello everyone, I have been reading on the forum and I have been having a few problems with my truck and was going to see how to do a few things but first let me explain the problem with my vehicle.

I have a 2006 Ford F150 5.4 3V engine. My truck is a dandy, it had the almighty ticking noise not to long ago, so I got my mechanic to change the timing chains, the timing guides, the cam phasers, and the list goes on. So after changing all that my truck runs and sounds great. EXCEPT, when my vehicle gets to operating temperature and I start slowing down from speeds of 40 or more, my engine starts running super rough and starts shaking and making a weird noise. For the longest time (2 weeks) of running my vehicle like this because I was out of money I had no code show up on a scanner and no check engine light showed up. But finally it triggered one day and the code P0340 came up. I have changed the sensor but to no avail. Also I currently have both my CPS or cms sensor unplugged and the truck runs grand, it has only made the "noise, shake, etc" one time and only for like 4 seconds and I can't get it to do it again when I have my sensor's unplugged, now of course I have lost power sense having the plug's unplugged but I am sure that is normal.

So there you have it I have tried a few things and was reading on other things I can try. Regardless I read that cleaning you VCT Screen's can help on things, (it may not be a fix but sure can't hurt I am sure) And I was wondering what is the process of this? Just taking the VCT Solenoid's out and then what"?

Thing's I have done on my vehicle to try to fix this problem after replacing all the cam phasers, timing chains, and etc.
- Cleaned MAF sensor
- Cleaned the throttle body
- Changed the oil to newer Motorcraft 5w-20 (what i was using anyways)
-Changed to Motorcraft 820( what i was using anyways)
-Cleaned my vehicle (hoping it just wanted to be cleaned and was acting up (nope not it :P))
-Tried some Techron Chevron fuel system cleaner for kicks and laughs

And that is about it thus far, I have had no luck with anything and was hoping maybe you guys could tell me about this screen, and maybe even something I could do to perhaps figure this out?
I also read AutoRX could possibly help, but I am not sure sure about that, it reminds me of my grandfathers snake oil...

Last edited by Roundtrip; 03-14-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
AutoRX is not snake oil, it's a good ester-based cleaner that cleans engines gradually. It doesn't wash chunks into the oil that can clog the screen and oil pump. If your issue is being caused by sludge, it's the best way to try to clean it without disassembly.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:10 AM
And as I can tell from your previous post you seem to know what you were talking about, I was not saying it was, it is just something I am not familiar with and is why I figured I would ask for your opinion, do you have any insight on the VCT screen cleaning my good sir? Or exactly what they are sorry I am a complete noob if I must say so....

Old 03-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Also I have a Hayne's manual and i have looked it over quite a bit, and I can not seem to find a hose diagram, does anyone have pictures pointing out where the hoses are, i just want to look for warped or old hoses etc...

Old 03-16-2014, 12:14 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I've never had the covers off a 3v, but I do seem to recall at least 1 thread here somewhere about those screens.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 AM
I'll dig into the forums deeper than thankyou good sir

Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Alright, is there a way to tell if my VCT solenoids are good or bad also?
Also I was reading on this site about the code P0340
http://engine-codes.com/p0340.html
it speaks of a faulty starter motor can cause this for a p0340 code sometimes, my bendix sometimes grinds when I try to crank my vehicle which is part of my starter that is going out, it only does it sometime, could this possibly be the root of my problem or is this me just going crazy -_-
Im so tired of this vehicle but I can't sell it broken so must get it fixed

Last edited by Roundtrip; 03-18-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
AutoRX is not snake oil, it's a good ester-based cleaner that cleans engines gradually. It doesn't wash chunks into the oil that can clog the screen and oil pump. If your issue is being caused by sludge, it's the best way to try to clean it without disassembly.
I've used Auto RX but I have seen very little that actually proves it "works". I think is safe and all but I've seen where people have torn apart engines before and after and seen very litle difference. I'm not sold. I'm not an RX hater just in the not sure crowd..

Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks amigo, I appreciate your input as well, I don't think AutoRX is going to fix my problem, but who knows I will try it one day when I can afford 70 dollars for the deep clean or whatever it is called by them, I just cant hope it does something, cause I doubt it has anything to do with what is wrong with it now

Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Roundtrip
Hello everyone, I have been reading on the forum and I have been having a few problems with my truck and was going to see how to do a few things but first let me explain the problem with my vehicle.

I have a 2006 Ford F150 5.4 3V engine. My truck is a dandy, it had the almighty ticking noise not to long ago, so I got my mechanic to change the timing chains, the timing guides, the cam phasers, and the list goes on. So after changing all that my truck runs and sounds great. EXCEPT, when my vehicle gets to operating temperature and I start slowing down from speeds of 40 or more, my engine starts running super rough and starts shaking and making a weird noise. For the longest time (2 weeks) of running my vehicle like this because I was out of money I had no code show up on a scanner and no check engine light showed up. But finally it triggered one day and the code P0340 came up. I have changed the sensor but to no avail. Also I currently have both my CPS or cms sensor unplugged and the truck runs grand, it has only made the "noise, shake, etc" one time and only for like 4 seconds and I can't get it to do it again when I have my sensor's unplugged, now of course I have lost power sense having the plug's unplugged but I am sure that is normal.

So there you have it I have tried a few things and was reading on other things I can try. Regardless I read that cleaning you VCT Screen's can help on things, (it may not be a fix but sure can't hurt I am sure) And I was wondering what is the process of this? Just taking the VCT Solenoid's out and then what"?

Thing's I have done on my vehicle to try to fix this problem after replacing all the cam phasers, timing chains, and etc.
- Cleaned MAF sensor
- Cleaned the throttle body
- Changed the oil to newer Motorcraft 5w-20 (what i was using anyways)
-Changed to Motorcraft 820( what i was using anyways)
-Cleaned my vehicle (hoping it just wanted to be cleaned and was acting up (nope not it :P))
-Tried some Techron Chevron fuel system cleaner for kicks and laughs

And that is about it thus far, I have had no luck with anything and was hoping maybe you guys could tell me about this screen, and maybe even something I could do to perhaps figure this out?
I also read AutoRX could possibly help, but I am not sure sure about that, it reminds me of my grandfathers snake oil...

Hey do you fix it?

Quick Reply: 5.4 3V VCT Question