Bad Ticking and acceleration problem-Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could use some help please. I have an 06 F150 Screw FX4 with the 5.4. Sorry if this is an existing topic. Most of the topics I read about didn't have the exact same things happening that I am experiencing. I recently went on a trip from Northern Utah to Southern California and back. Since going on the trip a couple things have come up when we reached California. The first thing is I am now getting a very loud ticking sound. It sounds like it is coming from under the truck and is loudest around the front drivers door and the front passengers door. If you open the hood and you are standing right over the engine, you can barely hear the ticking sound. This happens on idle, accelerating, pretty much anytime on a cold and warm engine. I also have noticed since the ticking sound has came on there is an acceleration problem when under moderate acceleration. When you first press on the throttle the response is normal and if you give a moderate amount of throttle, it lags and struggles to pick up speed. If you give it a lot of throttle it will then pick up speed fairly normally.

Another thing to note is that on the way down I averaged about 14.5 MPG on a couple tanks of gas purchased in Utah. Then on the next 3 tanks buying gas in Nevada and California I averaged 10.5 MPG and when I noticed the above mentioned problems (ticking & acceleration) problems. Then the last tank of gas I filled up in Utah again, with I am now getting back around 14.5 MPG and have a little more power (ticking is still the same). So on the drive when I had the cruise control set at 80 MPH on the way down to Cali the truck did great handling hills with minimal downshifts. With the gas from Nevada and California, when on the freeway it would more than struggle with tiny hills and downshift like crazy and even struggle to get up to the cruise speed. With the most recent gas from Utah again, it did so much better handling the hills and acted more normal like the drive down to California. Could I have got a couple tanks of bad gas and could it have caused any of this? Could it be that Nevada and California have a little different fuel mixtures? I do know that I always fill up in Utah with 85 octane and it has always ran great. Nevada and California only have 87 as the lowest and that is when I have noticed all the problems as well. When I got back to 85 octane from Utah the performance has increased again.

Sorry its so long. Hopefully it makes sense. Just want to put as much info as I can think of.

Thank you in advance for any help or feedback.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:52 PM

I could use some help please. I have an 06 F150 FX4 Screw with 87k miles. Sorry if this is an existing topic. Most of the topics I read about didn't have the exact same things happening that I am experiencing. I recently went on a trip from Northern Utah to Southern California and back. Since going on the trip a couple things have come up when we reached California. The first thing is I am now getting a very loud ticking sound. It sounds like it is coming from under the truck and is loudest around the front drivers door and the front passengers door. If you open the hood and you are standing right over the engine, you can barely hear the ticking sound. This happens on idle, accelerating, pretty much anytime on a cold and warm engine. I also have noticed since the ticking sound has came on there is an acceleration problem when under moderate acceleration. When you first press on the throttle the response is normal and if you give a moderate amount of throttle, it lags and struggles to pick up speed. If you give it a lot of throttle it will then pick up speed fairly normally.

Another thing to note is that on the way down I averaged about 14.5 MPG on a couple tanks of gas purchased in Utah. Then on the next 3 tanks buying gas in Nevada and California I averaged 10.5 MPG and when I noticed the above mentioned problems (ticking & acceleration) problems. Then the last tank of gas I filled up in Utah again, with I am now getting back around 14.5 MPG and have a little more power (ticking is still the same). So on the drive when I had the cruise control set at 80 MPH on the way down to Cali the truck did great handling hills with minimal downshifts. With the gas from Nevada and California, when on the freeway it would more than struggle with tiny hills and downshift like crazy and even struggle to get up to the cruise speed. With the most recent gas from Utah again, it did so much better handling the hills and acted more normal like the drive down to California. Could I have got a couple tanks of bad gas and could it have caused any of this? Could it be that Nevada and California have a little different fuel mixtures? I do know that I always fill up in Utah with 85 octane and it has always ran great. Nevada and California only have 87 as the lowest and that is when I have noticed all the problems as well. When I got back to 85 octane from Utah the performance has increased again.

Sorry its so long. Hopefully it makes sense. Just want to put as much info as I can think of.

Thank you in advance for any help or feedback.
henduford is online now Report Post

Old 03-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
CA does have sorry gas but you need go get the catalytic converters checked.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Original spark plugs? Overdue for a change.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 PM
I am not good what so every when it comes to this trucks as my truck is still broken after a month in limp mode, but I do not that these trucks and the PCM have a learning curve and is used to one fuel trim and etc, and when you change something on the vehicle it might be trying to relearn the fuel trim and etc. Of course i am most likely dead wrong but trying to help out some how. Also when is the last time you changed the fuel filter? And the way you describe the sound, it sounds like the injector ticking if you ask me. And you say that is is acting normal now?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 PM

here is a video link of the tick I'm hearing. Thanks for the ideas and feedback!

Old 03-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cam phasers?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surprised no codes, it is loud. I've never heard the cam phasers that loud. I don't think I would drive it. Maybe a more experienced person will chime in.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:12 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
That sounds like more than just phasers to me.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Cool

That's not a tap, that's a hollow clunk, as in a bearing, possibly a journal/main, or rod bearing. Sounds like it's slapping. Last time I heard that I blew the motor in my '71 Old's 442 with a 455. Sounded just like that. But, I'm not familiar with that sound as associated to a modular motor. But it sounds like a bearing to me...

Last edited by Scarlet; 03-17-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 PM
Well I ended up taking the truck into the dealership to get their diagnosis for $59. They called me today and indicated that there is good oil pressure and they indicated it wasn't the phasers. They are thinking it is either the cam followers or the lifters. They wont know for sure unless they open the valve cover and look inside. I asked if it were an exhaust leak and it didn't even seem they checked that but said it wasn't that type of a sound. Not sure how I feel about that. I think I am going to take it from the dealership and go to a local repair shop that one of my buddies suggested. They will be quite a bit cheaper.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 PM
Sounds like a flat bearing to me. Sound definitely seemed to amplify from the wheel wells and down lower so I would have a hard time believing it is in the valve train. Seems more like rotating assembly to me

I would almost pull the pan and check if the pickup tube is clogged and inspect the mains and rod bearings. Rotate it by hand and check for any flat bearings.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 AM
Wink

If it was a cracked exhaust manifold I think you would see the tell tale signs of the leak, some type of residue around the effected area (black soot, white chalky residue etc.). Plus it would be louder at the effect bank and not as noticeable on the other side. But the sound is coming from both sides and as Toyz said, it's amplified under the wheel wells. It's surely a bearing... I'm sorry to say. Unless you've hit the lottery, YES, take it away from the dealer and do take it to a shop that you can, or hopefully can trust. When I had the problem in my 442, it sounded nearly identical to that. I kept her dosed up with STP until I had time to yank her for a rebuild. Found out a rod bearing had spun. I missed second gear on a power shift (remember those?) during a race at the local track and over reved her a bit.

Last edited by Scarlet; 03-18-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM
any update?

Old 06-07-2021, 04:16 PM
We're you able to figure this out? Any fix?

[QUOTE=henduford;5071015]

here is a video link of the tick I'm hearing. Thanks for the ideas and feedback!

Were you able to get this fixed? What was the final cause? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bad Ticking and acceleration problem-Please help!