2004 F150 4.6 into 99 expedition 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 4.6 into 99 expedition 4.6

So I've read a lot on here the past few months about engine swaps.

Here are some questions I haven't found answers to yet.

First, what all accessories will fit the new 2004 4.6 from my 99. It looks like the power steering pump might be located a little different. But will it fit? What else might I run into with the accessories?

Second, do I actually have to take the engine and trans out together since my engine is completely seized?

Third, I'm going to use the engine harness and everything else from the 99 motor on the 04 motor if it is possible.

Has anyone pulled a motor out of an expedition without pulling the intake manifold? I know there is only inches but I think it might be enough room.

Thanks in advance everybody,
Mark

Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mmaddix09
So I've read a lot on here the past few months about engine swaps.

Here are some questions I haven't found answers to yet.

First, what all accessories will fit the new 2004 4.6 from my 99. It looks like the power steering pump might be located a little different. But will it fit? What else might I run into with the accessories?

Second, do I actually have to take the engine and trans out together since my engine is completely seized?

Third, I'm going to use the engine harness and everything else from the 99 motor on the 04 motor if it is possible.

Has anyone pulled a motor out of an expedition without pulling the intake manifold? I know there is only inches but I think it might be enough room.

Thanks in advance everybody,
Mark
I'm no expert but I think you're in for more then your realize....the 04' engine is probably a 3 valve engine...and your ole 99' is a 2 valve engine. Not that it can't be done....but.... you would have to use wiring harness and ECM out of the 04' and prolly the tranny too. Then there is all the sensors which are in all likelihood different as well . Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in

Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They used 2v-4.6's in 04 and it should work. You might need to get an intake for a PI 01-03 not sure if the 04 4.6 has the electronic throttle body. The 99s a cable linkage throttle body. I know in 04 the 5.4-3v is electronic. Dunno about the 4.6. You cannot use the one off the 99 that is a NON PI intake. Your other accessory's should swap no issue. The easiest way to handle the seized engine removal is to pull the torque converter attached. Makes a nasty mess but other then that it don't hurt any thing. The only problem I see with the swap is possible intake issues. Get the exhaust manifolds to. You'll need those because I think the PI are different. A little massaging. It'll work.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Thank you for the reply,

It is a 2 valve. I will check the intake to see if it is electronic. If it is I will use my 99 intake because it is a Windsor and the 99 Winsor expedition 4.6 have the PI intakes. I already have everything unbolted. I just need to drop the transfer case so I can pull the engine and tranny together. I tried talking it off without the intake being removed. I noticed that was not going to happen so I took the intake off. I will look at it next chance I get to see if it is a pi intake or not. Also I noticed the fuel rail on the 04 engine has only one fuel line going to it where as my 99 has 2 so I'm going to need to use the fuel rail and possibly the whole intake anyways from the 99. And my last question is about the injectors. They are different on the 04 engine bit is it still possible to use them if I use the 99 fuel rail or intake?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mystery cleared up, sorry any confusion...I knew 04' was a transition year, well at least for the 5.4 some got the 3v some were still 2v. SO, all 4.6's were still 2v then in pickups?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:19 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The 3v 4.6 didn't go in the F-150 till 2009. That's when they dropped the V-6 and made the 4.6 2v the base engine.

All 2004 F-150's with the 5.4 were 3v except the Heritage.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I pulled mine with just pulling the TC when is was seized. Gonna be hard getting the tranny and the engine up high enough to get it out. hope you gotta tall hoist! If you left the trans in an left the TC attached it comes out. The only bad thing is it barfs tranny fluid 10+ quarts Youll have to do it any way when its out. No other way to separate them.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:40 PM
So I have the engine from the 2004 F150 in my 9o expedition. So far the problems I encountered is the power steering pump and all the pullies. First like I mentioned before it seems the power steering pump is loaded in a different spot. Well it is. It's located higher on the new motor so I can't get the pomp mounted because it hits the steering shaft thing. So if I get a pump from a 2004 would it fit in there? Is it smaller? It would suck to have to pull the motor again and get a different motor. Alright next problem will be the pullies. The ones from the accessories from the 99 are 8 rib and the pullies on the 2004 are 6 rib. Do I have to replace the pullies on my accessories, such as power steering pump and ac compressor? Or can I just use them as is. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by mmaddix09
So I have the engine from the 2004 F150 in my 9o expedition. So far the problems I encountered is the power steering pump and all the pullies. First like I mentioned before it seems the power steering pump is loaded in a different spot. Well it is. It's located higher on the new motor so I can't get the pomp mounted because it hits the steering shaft thing. So if I get a pump from a 2004 would it fit in there? Is it smaller? It would suck to have to pull the motor again and get a different motor. Alright next problem will be the pullies. The ones from the accessories from the 99 are 8 rib and the pullies on the 2004 are 6 rib. Do I have to replace the pullies on my accessories, such as power steering pump and ac compressor? Or can I just use them as is. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
So I figured out that two out of the 4 holes for where the power steering pump was located on older engines was still there. I had to change the oil filter housing assembly to the one off the old engine so I could mount the power steering pump. I also had to shave down the bottom side of the the lower forward mounting hole where the power steering pump is located on the newer engines because the pump wouldn't seat all the way. It was hitting. I've also decided I'm going to take the 04 pullies and guides with 6 ribs off the 04 motor and install all the 8 rib ones from my 99 engine. All of the things the belt rides on are being replaced with the ones from my 99 motor. The 04 motor actually has 2 extra "guides" , or whatever their called, that the belt runs on. They are both on the drivers side of the engine. I just removed those because I am using all of that stuff from my 99 motor. There is two things that stick out from where I removed those "guides" but that doesn't matter because they are not in the way of the belt. Everything else has been good so far.

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 4.6 into 99 expedition 4.6