1999 4.6 issue.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 4.6 issue.

Hello everyone.

I am trying to help a friend out with her 1999 Expedition 4.6. It had popped a hose right above the engine on the passenger side. she put a T in and reattached the new hoses. Did a good job, its holding the juice just fine. Problem is it now runs terrible. I did some searching on the site first and am thinking it may be a plug or coil problem. The hose broke spilling massive amount of old antifreeze on the top of the engine. It idles great, like normal but when you hit the gas all heck breaks loose. It sounds like a really bad miss. but still has about the same power as it did before. Each injector ticks although some are weaker than others. She did tell me she had a shady mechanic tune up the engine last year. I know you need Motorcraft plugs for sure, which they are not. And I read they should be torqued to 28ft/lbs which they are not. because they were barely tight at all. I did try the 28 ft/lbs thing and it did not help. I am figuring it needs plugs and the coils (does not have the CP on the plugs) It has the four coil things on the end of the block. Judging by the chain of events I am inclined to think it is the ignition system. Is there anything else I should look at or test before I go and start replacing the ignition components? There are no codes. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Respectfully
Daniel

Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
It's probably just antifreeze in the plug wells. Blow them out, change the plugs and plug wires and you should be fine. The coil packs should be fine unless they got soaked too.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue once. It was as glc. Suggested wells full of antifreeze. While replacing boots and plugs is probably the better fix I simply took boots off one at a time and used shop towels to soak up the antifreeze. I twisted them up to get them to fit down into the wells next to the plugs. Once I got the fluid out and put boots back on the problem was fixed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 4.6 issue.