What to do with my heads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:38 PM
BSL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with my heads?

Engine Stats: 2002 5.4L with 156k, new alternator 10k ago, had a plug blowout on the drivers side head at 80k and shop put in a helicoil to repair.

Passenger side head gasket has started leaking pretty badly. Truck has burned 3/4 of a quart every 3,000 for the last 70k I've driven it, in the 2,800 I've driven it since noticing the HG leak it has used 2.5 quarts. Obviously I will be replacing that as I don't want to add oil every time I drive it.

So I'm thinking since I'll be pulling the passengers side head anyway I might as well pull both and get a valve job and the surfaces planed and trued up. Finally to my question, I haven't had any issues with the helicoil repair, but should I look for a replacement for my drivers side head? I'm also planning thermostat and water pump as long as I'm ripping into it, as well as checking the timing chain, am I missing anything?

Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'd just get another engine. This time take better care of it.

BTW, you don't have to pull the head for a plug repair, - but since the gasket is trashed....

Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 PM
BSL
Originally Posted by jbrew
I'd just get another engine. This time take better care of it.

BTW, you don't have to pull the head for a plug repair, - but since the gasket is trashed....
Guess I wasn't clear, these didn't happen simultaneously. I bought the truck with almost 80k on it, plug blew out after I put less than 1,000 miles on it, so that was 70k ago (btw that was mentioned in the original post). The only reason I put almost 3k on it with the gasket leaking is because I had to move 2,000 miles across the country 3 days after I found the leak and have been living out of a hotel for the past 2 weeks. I have been pretty good on maintenance so I don't appreciate the insinuation that I don't take care of it.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Pull the helicoil and replace it with a Timesert, or a Bigsert if necessary. No need to trash the head.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by BSL
Guess I wasn't clear, these didn't happen simultaneously. I bought the truck with almost 80k on it, plug blew out after I put less than 1,000 miles on it, so that was 70k ago (btw that was mentioned in the original post). The only reason I put almost 3k on it with the gasket leaking is because I had to move 2,000 miles across the country 3 days after I found the leak and have been living out of a hotel for the past 2 weeks. I have been pretty good on maintenance so I don't appreciate the insinuation that I don't take care of it.
The insinuation is because you haven't mentioned what you have done to prevent that, still haven't. - So like it or not, you get what you get. These are fairly resilient engines and can take quite a bit of abuse, - but there not totally idiot proof. Whether that's your doing or not, - it still stands, - on those grounds mentioned above.

You take care of them, they will and have returned the favor many many times as far as that engine in particular.

So there's still not much to go on here. Also I just was stating you don't have to remove the head for that particular plug chamber repair. Figured it may be helpful, - took a shot.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 PM

It ONLY has a 150,000 + on it. That's not a lot for that engine. Something happened or didn't happen lol.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 PM
I have been reading on this forum for awhile, but this is my first time posting. A little over a year ago I bought a 2003 F150 with the 5.4, I hadn't even got a tank of gas through it yet when I blew a head gasket. My head didn't crack and I didn't have the spark plug issue like you did, but while the motor was apart, I replaced as much as I could. New water pump, timing assembly, gaskets, spark plugs, some vacuum hoses, fluids, etc. I had the heads planed and the valves cleaned by a local shop, and the grand total came to around $2200 for both sides of the motor. While this is cheaper than a new engine, I think it all depends on your situation, but I just thought Id let you know this option since I was in your shoes.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:38 AM

You can get a good engine for about half that. Should be able to pick one up at right around $1300.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 AM
jbrew I guess I didn't price a new engine at the time because I had a week left of winter vacation before I had to head back to college, so tracking down and replacing a motor was out of the question for me.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Taking a chance on a very old used engine is taking a chance that may not be a success path.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 PM
You can get a good engine for about half that. Should be able to pick one up at right around $1300.
Where? Do you recommend a certain reputable vendor? Web site link?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:11 PM

This is answered by this:

Originally Posted by Roadie
Taking a chance on a very old used engine is taking a chance that may not be a success path.
Sorry, but I'd never go through the trouble of pulling a motor and replacing it with a freakin junkyard pull with 100k+ miles on it that'll just go bad in the near future as well.

People on here can talk all they want about how bulletproof a motor is, but at the end of the day, they're mass-produced (so they aren't all perfect motors) and 156k miles is a LOT of miles and a solid number for a motor to have reached before needing major work. Jbrew's truck has what almost 300k on it now? A friend's father has 330k on his 98 5.4 too. But that's not the norm, as much as some think it is, and cannot be expected, or in some cases demanded.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 02-25-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Roadie
Damn Roadie, - most ever things by chance. The same can be said for a new engine, - of course that's the best way to go IF (very big if), the truck is worth it, IF you have the money, new engine from the dealer $7,000 (not including installation). How many could actually foot that bill ? (not usually in the cards).
If you think a Re-manufactured motor is the best option, -far from it IMO. Although it may sound the best option to some or even most, it really isn't. In fact it can be a real PITA. I've seen more re-mans fail 10-1 vs best route taken...Yes 10 to 1 over junk yard motors,- as some call them. I've seen it take 3 Jasper Motors to finally get one that would take. Then it's a very big deal and a lot of hassle to actually make good on the warranty. They'll try to accuse you anyway they can and some get crafty about it lol.

A good used engine is a proven engine. Very affordable vs the others. They're warrantied long enough to determine if the engine is actually good, bad or hurt. With a few SIMPLE tests you can determine what kind of shape they are in internally, without dismantling. It doesn't take much time/hardly any effort, cash to learn how to compression test it,- and you can do this at the salvage yard. You may be able to even hear it run at some, before making the purchase. You can find these engines under 100,000 miles in perfect shape. Your chances are actually better than they are with a re-man, from what I've seen and heard of in the past.

Overall, any one of these options could backfire, it's a gamble. If I had a choice, I would choose a brand new one of course. That's not a very realistic choice that we all have the opportunity to make. With the way things usually are , TIGHT financially, and how much of a predicament this usually puts you in at the time, it makes a lot more sense going with a good used engine, - hands down. Takes very little know how, the information is easy to obtain. But hey, you have to want to actually know the best option, and be willing to suffer a little research getting there.

The OP has head gasket problems. There's a very good chance that engine has other various problems in relation. Head gaskets usually just don't give out on there own. Overheating or a plugged PCV system for a long period of time are the usual suspects. Which all revolves around good maintenance. Neglect adds up and from all that I tell from his posts, - at this point and time, it's a better option to go with a used low mileage motor. Engines at the salvage yard don't get there from lack of maintenance in most cases.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
This is answered by this:

Sorry, but I'd never go through the trouble of pulling a motor and replacing it with a freakin junkyard pull with 100k+ miles on it that'll just go bad in the near future as well.

People on here can talk all they want about how bulletproof a motor is, but at the end of the day, they're mass-produced (so they aren't all perfect motors) and 156k miles is a LOT of miles and a solid number for a motor to have reached before needing major work. Jbrew's truck has what almost 300k on it now? A friend's father has 330k on his 98 5.4 too. But that's not the norm, as much as some think it is, and cannot be expected, or in some cases demanded.
Just stay in school kid and don't be so afraid to learn. I told you this before

Maybe one day your propaganda will hold water. Not much else to say, -just you really suck at this stuff sometimes lol.

Oh well.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by DBuck
Where? Do you recommend a certain reputable vendor? Web site link?

No, no certain vender lol. A wed site, -now your talkin, -

http://car-part.com/

Just type in your zip and it will search from your area outward.

Shiii... That shark will never catch me.

Quick Reply: What to do with my heads?