Spark, Fuel, no fire....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Spark, Fuel, no fire....

Hey guys! Its been awhile since ive been here. Havent had any problems with the f-150, usually a good sign. Though it has been sitting for 2 years. So heres whats happening now.

I parked it at a friends at the beggining of winter, it ran fine. I started it up a few weeks ago to relocate it back to my house, it ran like CRAP, guzzled 1/4 tank in 15 miles.

Intake backfired like crazy. It idled very bad, 1500rpm down to 200rpm, 1500, down to 1500, and it did this consistantly. NOW, it wont even start.

*Its got 40 lbs of fuel pressure on KEY ON, and 60lbs cranking.

*It has perfect spark...

*186 lbs compression on average.

*I checked the circuit on the fuel injectors with a light meter, and it does blink, on off on off, like its supposed to.
*Starter, battery, and ALL FUSES good!

When i spray carb cleaner in the throttle body it fires over, quits. So this does not make any sense to me. Any ideas will help! Thanks

Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like badly watered down gas. Maybe some kid stuck a hose in your tank. I'd pump as much out as I could get some fresh gas and put some heat in it..

Old 02-14-2014, 12:39 PM
If it has been sitting for 2 years, it definitely has bad gas.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fuel pressure might be just fine, but if the injectors are varnished up it will run like crap if it runs at all.

Fresh fuel is in order.

It fires up when you spray it because it isn't getting any fuel to the cylinders. Be careful spraying it to make it briefly run, I did that on my POS-10 Blazer and caught it on fire when it back fired. The biggest dilemma was if it should let it burn! lol

Last edited by jgger; 02-14-2014 at 11:34 PM. Reason: cuz I wanted to.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:13 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If the injectors are varnished up, you are going to have to pull them and at least get them bench checked - cleaned and rebuilt or replaced as necessary.

I'd drop the tank, dump the gas, put fresh gas and Techron in first, replace the fuel filter, see what that does.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The rail shuts down right around 60 lbs. I think it's 65, but your close. Change that regulator man.

Get her back running good again, -

Last edited by jbrew; 02-15-2014 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Beers 4 FRod
Old 02-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Alright i will do that. I am having a VERY wierd problem tho. The fuel pressure when trying to start is doing some wierd stuff...I will get a video up asap!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:41 AM
Is this normal???

Last edited by FRod; 02-18-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 AM
And then theres this...............

Old 02-18-2014, 03:58 AM
Bad fuel. With all the ethanol in fuel these days and letting it sit that long the fuel probably broke down. I would get as much out as possible and replace with fresh fuel and heet or some dry gas of some sort. I would probably change the fuel filter while im at it, cant hurt..

Old 02-18-2014, 09:36 AM

That sucks! How cold is it where you are? The fuel is gelled, system is plugged almost plugged tight. That's bad, because I'm not sure how your going to get it to dissolve in each of the injector filters. HEET adative will dissolve it in the tank eventually , but iduno, you have a lot of it.

The fuel pump is a bottom feeder. Water is heavier than fuel so fuel will remain at the top of the tank. After dumping that 5 gallons in, you created some slosh but not enough to mix (sludge). That's where that HEET would come in. It helps mix the water and fuel together so that it doesn't separate.

BUT, - You've got it real bad at this point. The injectors need flushing and the tank needs to be cleaned, you need another filter as well.

You can clean those injectors on the bench supplying 12V to open them up. Then blow them out w/compressed air. Or just hunt down a fresh sonic cleaned set on ebay and replace them.

Might wanna pull the plugs, -up to you; they'll probably clean up on there own once you start pumping the good stuff thru there.

Yea, you have a little job to do unfortunately.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 AM

Fuel pump and readings,-

You mentioned you had 60 lbs of pressure cranking over at first. Makes sense, it probably plugged up worse at first , then you kinduh blew a hole thru it some how, since it's about 28 lbs now. Just keep in mind, none of those reading are accurate. In fact the pump is hanging in there, personally, I'd pull it out and clean it on the bench the same way as the injectors.

If you want to siphon the tank, pull the rear vent/ top back of the tank. That will give you plenty of access to remove MOST of what's in the tank.

To remove that vent and hose, your definitely going to NEED WD40 or similar. That makes it very easy and quick to do. Just lube up the hose end at the vent and that will pull right off, - then lube up around the outside on the vent/grommet where it fits into the tank. Turn the vent counterclockwise 1/4 turn, -it pulls right out. You'll have like a 11/2" opening to siphon from.

I do this all the time if I run out of lawnmower gas and am to lazy to go up town for fuel lol.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:33 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Word to the wise - if your vehicle is going to sit for more than 3 months without being run, put stabilizer in the fuel and run it for 5 minutes. Also make sure the tank is full or close to it.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Yea i know, it was a really bad time in my life and i kind of just "let go" per say and didnt care for anything, so this is 100% my fault. I appreciate all of you that are always there to help me . Honestly, i was thinking of selling the truck. I went as low as $3,000, but no hits. So i took it off craigslist, and decided, its just not worth it to me to sell it for $3,000, no matter how desperate i am....So im going to clean it out, finish the project like intended, and drive it. Because although my daily driver is an audi a6 AWD, i do miss driving it, and not having head lights shining directly into my eyes. I will do the work and keep you guys posted!! Thanks again!

Old 02-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Good luck buddy, keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Spark, Fuel, no fire....