need help with car-part.com

Old 02-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with car-part.com

Hi guys. I'm looking at used engines on car-part.com.
Would someone help me decipher what their codes and terms mean?
I see "check egr valve" "without egr valve"
I guess I don't know why some do or don't have the egr valves with them. Does anyone have any first hand experience with them?
Thanks a bunch.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some yr model trucks did not have egr's on them. Or they mean like it says check the egr valve, if there is a problem.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EGR is irrelevant if you use your intake and exhaust manifolds. Car parts and junk yard generally will not show engines that are not direct swaps meaning the engine and everything that bolts to it is the same. Most (if not all) 5.4-2v PI engines can be made to fit your truck by simply taking a few parts off your old engine Could be you would need to change inakes exhaust oil filter adapter pullys. My 99 has an engine out of an 03 and I used my old engines bolt on stuff..

Old 02-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks. I'm looking at "newer" engines, as mine seems to be trying to die a slow death. I'm hoping to find a 2valve with less than 100K miles from late model Econoline vans. Remanufactured are out of my budget right now. I would like to find something in good shape that won't be needing a lot of massaging to make it work. I recall in another thread about a guy whose newer van engine had extra nodes on a cam gear that caused issues with timing and the computer from his truck.
So I don't need to worry about EGR if I use my "old" engine parts to swap out. I would swap my 99 aluminum intake onto it also.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:04 PM
You either have the EGR stuff on your manifold and exhaust manifod or you dont. That stuff will go away on the new engine. Like I said as far as I know (I dont know everything) any 2v 5.4 pi engine can be made to work with simple parts swaps. Dont know about extra sensors on newer econolines. That may be a factor dont know about that one.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jump n
Thanks. I'm looking at "newer" engines, as mine seems to be trying to die a slow death. I'm hoping to find a 2valve with less than 100K miles from late model Econoline vans.
Careful . - Those older vans were not PI engine from 99+. I'm not sure when the Vans got a PI engine ? 01 maybe ? Should stick with a 150 engine unless you can tell the difference.

What might help is posting the engine your referring to. Yea, that might be important here lol.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 PM
the nice thing about econoline is you can get newer then 03. Fact is as far as I know they are still selling them with 2v-5.4's so theoretically you could get an engine out of a totaled 2013 van and theoretically you could make it work.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM
I work at a salvage yard and its hard to get a low milage 5.4L. We've sold 5.4L's with 240k on them and never had a problem. Now on do the car-part.com it can be your friend or your enemy. Its makes it hard to look for something not exact cause it will not show it, sometimes to make an engine fit something its not all it is is a valve cover, or oil pan.

When you see something that says "check egr valve" usually means the salvage yard hasn't checked theres for just a reminder for customer to check theres. We get all the information when we enter so there isn't any confusion. Some of the problem is also in hollander interchange.

Here is an example:
2002 F150 5.4L w/egr when you look it up on car-part.com you will only see 02-03 f150 and 04 hertiage with egr engine that will fit when in all honestly 02-05 Excursion with and without egr/02-04 without egr and also 02-04 f250sd but you won't see any of those engines. And most of the stuff you have to do to make them work is oil pan,intake manifold, and egr setup.

If you have any questions let me know I can see what I can do to let you know what you would have to do to put on in there.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM

EGR doesn't really matter if your swapping in the same engine. He does have a 5.4L. He posted that in another thread on this site, just seen it lol.

Not sure why he didn't post it here, - that just makes it harder giving him specific info. But yea, it is a 5.4L for those of you that were wondering. I was.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:48 PM

Like I said earlier, just make sure your getting a PI engine. You can always use the intake up from the old engine if need be. As long as they are both 5fours.

That should make it less confusing lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help with car-part.com