4.6L swapout

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L swapout

I have a 2002 ford F150 with a 4.6L that needs replaced. the vin is 1FTRF107W62NA09443, the engine I found has data (4S 910 AA) E173A 170304 0771030, 133 03-17-04 46L Ford Windsor Ontario Canada. Can I use this engine as a replacement?

Thanks, Bob

Old 02-09-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
PI is a PI (power improved), just make sure you have the timing cover bolts and cam/valve covers if one has romeo heads and the other with windsors

Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
If I'm reading it right, that's a Windsor built in March 04 - no idea what it came out of though. It should work, with YOUR manifolds. Your 02 engine is a Romeo.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Windsor is a March- 17- 04 build the W in the truck VIN indicates that truck engine is a Romeo build.
You will need a 8 bolt flex plate for the Windsor engine crank shaft, Romeo has a 6 bolt crank. Depending on what the Windsor came out of (should be truck) as Windsor was basicly a truck engine plant but they would supplement long blocks for replacement for other vehicles occasionally and at this point who knows where this replacement engine has been. May want to swap the oil pan depends on orientation for clearance for the drain plug and pickup tube with it. As GLC said exhaust manifolds, I would just get new ones for your specific truck and install before you put the engine in the truck. I would also replace the rear main now and the front chain tensioners while it is easy to get at. Also swap the oil filter adapter or remote filter from your truck. The cam covers must follow the front cover as they are not interchangeable. The Windsor is a heavier built block than the Romeo with several different internal features none of which will make any difference during a swap. If you have the Windsor intact with a truck intake manifold then just install it with the original or you can install your Romeo intake if you want. A few other small things but you should have no problem with this swap.This is a easy swap pretty much just a remove and reinstall. Good luck.

Just another note, when you remove the replacement engines intake manifold, inspect for any debris or parts such as bolts, nuts, etc. in the cyl head intake ports then place duct tape over the ports so nothing falls in them during your installation process also take a look inside the intake manifold lower intake (plenum) for debris or small parts. Have seen to many times someone make a swap or R/R the intake, start the engine and have a bolt, screw, nut, whatever sucked into a cylinder and bend a valve or worse.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 02-09-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feed back, wish me luck

Quick Reply: 4.6L swapout