Promar Precision Engines?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Promar Precision Engines?

Any feedback on Promar for a 5.4 3V ?
My 04 is dead. Seems hard to beat for $3000 for a long block.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wodda ya get for $3k?

Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Old 01-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Was looking at them also. Have been researching for the future. I have 211,000 and still going strong. I pull a 29ft travel trailer and getting a little leary of having an issue when towing.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Ya link ain't working fella.

I ment what comes in the motor? Forged pistons, rods? Updated hardware?

Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross-FX4
Ya link ain't working fella.

I ment what comes in the motor? Forged pistons, rods? Updated hardware?
it's straight up junk

when I hear one positive thing about promar I'll change my mind...

Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably a basic over haul kit. Rings bearings hone job etc. You could pull your engine and take it to a local machinest and get the same thing maybe even save a few hundred bucks and likely get a better job..

Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
it's straight up junk

when I hear one positive thing about promar I'll change my mind...
Why is it junk?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 AM
Head over to lightningrodder. You will see why he calls it junk.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I have zero experience with the 5.4, but just installed a promar 4.2 long block in my 99 f150. Did the entire swap in a weekend, which is why I didn't rebuild the original motor which had 234k on it. Best deal I could find on a used engine was $1250. Promar reman engine was $1799, including shipping both ways.

People were great to deal with. Everything looked top notch. Started right up and runs perfectly (once I found the injector that had come unplugged).

I only have 150 miles on the engine. Runs smooth with no noise, no smoke and oil is clean and clear. Antifreeze is clean and clear. The only issue I had with the whole process was being unable to remove the old dipstick tube without breaking it. It had seized. Had to get a new tube (Ford only), and installation required removing the driver's side exhaust manifold. Just did that this afternoon in my driveway. I drove it for a week with a rubber plug in the hole.

I was looking at pics on one of the posts at lighningrodder and it seems the engine had been overheated when a coolant hose popped off. Don't know if you can blame that on Promar. Also, like all of these engines, v6 or v8, the intake installation is critical. Smash those gaskets, and you are doomed to failure.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnBilodeau
I have zero experience with the 5.4, but just installed a promar 4.2 long block in my 99 f150. Did the entire swap in a weekend, which is why I didn't rebuild the original motor which had 234k on it. Best deal I could find on a used engine was $1250. Promar reman engine was $1799, including shipping both ways.

People were great to deal with. Everything looked top notch. Started right up and runs perfectly (once I found the injector that had come unplugged).

I only have 150 miles on the engine. Runs smooth with no noise, no smoke and oil is clean and clear. Antifreeze is clean and clear. The only issue I had with the whole process was being unable to remove the old dipstick tube without breaking it. It had seized. Had to get a new tube (Ford only), and installation required removing the driver's side exhaust manifold. Just did that this afternoon in my driveway. I drove it for a week with a rubber plug in the hole.

I was looking at pics on one of the posts at lighningrodder and it seems the engine had been overheated when a coolant hose popped off. Don't know if you can blame that on Promar. Also, like all of these engines, v6 or v8, the intake installation is critical. Smash those gaskets, and you are doomed to failure.
The 4.2 is a simple pushrod engine, There a cinch to overhaul.

Last edited by jethat; 02-23-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: duh
Old 02-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Nothing different in the rotating assy. The simplicity is reflected in the lower price of the 4.2.
I was just speaking to the quality of the remanufactured engine. Quality is quality.
I have worked on V12 bimmers, V12 ohc Ferrari, straight six turbo bimmers, and tons of SBC engines. The clearances, and set up for the bottom end is still the same. Yes, ohc or cam in head can increase the complexity of the build, but grinding valves, checking valve height, guide clearance etc. is still basically the same practice.
My point was an engine failure resulting from a "blown hose" and subsequent overheating can't be blamed on the manufacturer of the engine.
Now, I only have 200 miles on this engine. I may change my mind in a couple of years if it starts falling apart.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:53 AM
I have a promar in my 92 f150. It runs like a charm.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 AM
My promar now has 5000 miles. So far so good.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Old thread I know, but I promised updates on the ProMar engine.
Still runs well and uses no oil at 16k miles.

However, I am having to replace a rocker arm and pushrod. Car was humming down the highway when all of a sudden, started making a loud noise. It was loud enough, I was afraid it spun a rod bearing. Checked the oil, and although it was due for a change, it wasn't low. Towed it to the house.

Pulled valve covers this evening. One of the push rods just came right through a rocker arm. That rocker was getting plenty of oil and is not scored in the least. Just popped through. Not a common malady on any car. Makes me wonder if they used some Chinese made rockers made of inferior metal. O'Reilly's will have one of each for me tomorrow. Not a difficult fix, so it is easier for me to fix than to deal with warranty.

I will however send ProMar pictures and let them know of the problem.

Should be back on the road tomorrow evening.

Inside of engine is very clean, as you would expect with regular oil changes with Mobil 1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Promar Precision Engines?