5.4 starting issue, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.4 starting issue, need help.

Hi all, was hoping someone could help me out with the issue I am having with my 2004 FX4. I was heading to work yesterday and it died on me. When you crank it over it will start and run, but only for a moment. I immediately thought fuel issue. I replaced the FPDM to no avail (by the way the Dormer is cheaper on Amazon by $40 compared to any local parts store). I listened for the fuel pump while I had someone turn the ignition to "ON" and I could hear it for about 2 seconds do its thing. My only other thought is the fuel filter? I have a scanner coming tomorrow and I will be able to check any codes. Any thoughts?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 AM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
Change the fuel filter.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
agreed to change the fuel filter 1st.

Are you running a K&N air filter or Fram air filter by chance??
couldn't hurt to clean the MAF sensor too

Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Just changed the filter to no avail. Not using a K&N or Fram, just grabbed a WIX at NAPA. I should have my OBDII scanner coming via UPS shortly. Hope that gives me some answers. Thanks for the suggestions, I will check the MAF as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
Is the CEL on? If not, the scanner probably won't find anything.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM
SOLVED!! After the scanner gave me no codes I was pretty bummed. I checked the MAF sensor and found a small piece of air filter lodged inside. Open the airbox and bam, a mouse had decided my filter was great for making his nest. After cleaning the box and replacing the filter all is well. At least I got a new FPDM, fuel filter and OBDII scanner out of the ordeal. Lesson learned, thanks for the help guys!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by greengold
SOLVED!! After the scanner gave me no codes I was pretty bummed. I checked the MAF sensor and found a small piece of air filter lodged inside. Open the airbox and bam, a mouse had decided my filter was great for making his nest. After cleaning the box and replacing the filter all is well. At least I got a new FPDM, fuel filter and OBDII scanner out of the ordeal. Lesson learned, thanks for the help guys!
Glad to see that you got it
I had a similar piece from the air filter land on the MAF sensor....but mine was a fram air filter and the glue came apart. Needless to say, fram will not be in any of my vehicles EVER again.

Quick Reply: 5.4 starting issue, need help.