HELP! Sub-zero Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Sub-zero Newbie

This is the first time I've had a vehicle in sub-zero temps.

I want to go out and start it up to make sure the battery isn't dead
and to warm it up, but worry about the damage I might do, like cracking
the engine block - I seem to remember hearing about people in the
far North using warmers to avoid that.

The good thing is that I don't have to drive it until things warm up.

Any pointers/suggestion?

Thanks

PS BRRRRRR

Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its -15°f here. I don't use engine block heaters. But then again it only gets that cold a few times a year. Depending on how much colder it is there you might want to use the block heater just to be safe.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We drive in "below zero" temperatures for 5-7 months of the year here in Calgary. As long as your coolant is the correct mixture to handle the cold without gelling or freezing and your battery is in good shape, the truck will be fine. I haven't plugged in a vehicle in over 5 years and see -20 to -30C (-4 to -22F) quite often. If you're running a 5WXX oil you shouldn't have any issues. Let the oil circulate and the truck run for a couple of minutes before driving off (start out gentle on it until everything comes up to temperature). I would suggest not just starting it up and not driving it to running temperature. The most wear occurs on cold starts and it will start to get moisture in the oil. If you have no intention of driving it, let it sit until things warm up. If you're worried about the battery, put a trickle charger on it, but just running it for a few minutes is not beneficial for the truck.

Last edited by tcp2; 01-07-2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: mo words
Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
If you don't have to drive it till it warms up, just leave it alone. You can potentially do more damage with an incomplete warmup and drive cycle. Whatever, you aren't going to crack the block unless you have insufficient antifreeze protection. The factory fill 50/50 mix is good to -34*F.

As long as you have a healthy battery it should start right up, hopefully you have the recommended 5W20 oil in it. When you do start it, turn the key on and wait about 5 seconds before you twist it to Start. Before turning it on make sure you have all accessories turned off, including the climate control system.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Thanks, all.

I've hooked up my trickle charger and will let it be until things warm up.

Maybe I will by then too.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by glc
When you do start it, turn the key on and wait about 5 seconds before you twist it to Start.
I'm curious about that. What does that do?

==============

BTW, everything was fine when I started it yesterday.

I was probably just being paranoid, but this is all new to me.

Hopefully it will be another 20 years before it gets that cold again
and by then I'll be asking questions about starting my flying truck.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by sptiger84
I'm curious about that. What does that do?
It lets the fuel pump prime and gets some electricity flowing before you jolt the starter. It's a bit easier on a cold battery.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
It lets the fuel pump prime and gets some electricity flowing before you jolt the starter. It's a bit easier on a cold battery.
Exactly.

Sometimes you can get air bubbles in the fuel line when the weather gets cold and things contract. Weird things happens to plastics/rubber when it gets super cold in terms of contraction.

I always wait 5-10 seconds depending on the sound of the fuel system doing its thing before starting. Each brand vehicle I've driven does things a little different. I just listen for parts to stop moving then turn the key. And that is even when it's warm out.

Maybe because I've driven diesels before, and I'm patient for the glow plugs/grid heater to cycle. So it might just be a habit.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Thanks.

I'll be sure to do that from now on.

Quick Reply: HELP! Sub-zero Newbie