2005 F150 Nightmare.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 Nightmare.....

So I have a 05 SuperCrew with the 5.4 V8....The factory starter went out 2 years ago and got replaced with another aftermarket (reputable) starter. After this starter was installed, 6 months later the truck would grind when it started 1 out of 100 times. I thought that like the original starter that had failed internally, this was happening once again. So I bought another starter. When I pulled starter to replace it, I was surprised to find the internal gears were not damaged like the OEM one was. This time, it was grinding on the flexplate. I could see where more than half the tooth was worn down on the flexplate probably causing the starter tooth to not engage fully. So I put everything back together because I NEED the truck. This has been about 2 weeks since, and the problem has gotten worse.

Almost everytime I go to start the truck in the morning, after its been sitting and its cold out, it will grind and not start. I have to crawl under the truck, remove the inspection cover to the flexplate, and manually turn the flexplate with a screwdriver. Not much, just a few degrees, and I can jump inside and it immeditealy starts.

The flexplate obviously needs replaced. And I am replacing the starter as well. My question to everyone is, could I possibly have something else happening at the same time?? It seems so strange that everytime I park the truck and let it sit for a long period of time in the cold, its a given it will grind. However, if I park the truck in my heated garage, this will only happen 1 out of 10 starts...which makes more sense to me. I cant believe that the flexplate is stopping on a "dead spot" every single time. The odds are just not there.

I am not sure about this, which is why I am asking, could I have something wrong with my torque converter??? I have heard of torque converter lock up, but not exactly sure of the symptoms or what it really is. I am nervous about spending the 1200 or so dollars to have everything replaced, only to damage all of the new parts because something else is going on too. Any input from you guys would be awesome. Thanks!!

Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, with the original install, the starter may not have been aligned properly causing the teeth not to mesh properly. Second, if it seems to only have the problem in the cold, I would check the batter and all connections to the batter, ground, and starter to ensure they are good and clean. I f not getting enough voltage, the starter may not mesh properly with the flex plate.

PS - It will not be the torque convertor as it would have to have something to lock up against to be a problem. The trannie is locked up from trannie back, not trannie forward.

Last edited by kingfish51; 01-02-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds to me like whatever happened that caused the original starter to fail also damaged the flex plate. These types of failures are very rare. I've never replaced a bad ford starter I have threw out a few good ones chasing issues that ended up not being the starter. Any chance that at some point the starter was engaged while the motor was running? I think the odds are very good if you replace the flex plate and add another new starter you'll be fine.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the replies! I will check all my connections and make sure my terminals are tight. Like I said, its just really weird it happens after the truck sits for awhile....anyways I am ordering the parts tonight. Anybody have recommendations as to which starter and flexplate to go with? The OEM Ford parts are crazy expensive...

To my knowledge, the truck was never started while running, I am the second owner though...When the OEM starter failed, the three gears inside literally exploded...It was crazy! Anyways, I might for the heck of it try starting it in the morning and seeing if it grinds...if it does, I will hook up my boost pack to the battery to see if that will possibly help...maybe I have a weak ground???

I recently installed some interior LED dome lights and have noticed something strange with them as well. When they are powered off, there is a tiny glow to the LED still? Not sure if its because they're cheapies off of Ebay or what. I will let you guys know what I find, but I would still like some recommendations on where to buy the parts. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Heat makes metal expand. Maybe the teeth are a little closer together when the engine is warm.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember when I was in the asset program, there was a chick in my class with a 5.4 3v and she was having issues with her starter. She would replace it and have issues with any of them, until she went with motorcraft. I'd stick with MC and definitely replace the flexplate asap

Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure what happened is that the DRIVE, the part at the rear of the starter that contains the teeth that mesh with the flexplate, failed in your starters. This problem isn't nearly as common as it used to be.

When the drive in a starter begins to kick out when trying to start the vehicle, it's a good(great)idea to replace the drive or the complete starter ASAP. Otherwise you may end up with teeth missing on your flywheel or flexplate. You know that now.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:02 AM
massy is right, I had the same problem in my 05 f150 5.4

may she rest in piece(s)

Old 01-03-2014, 12:40 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Get a quote on OEM parts from Tasca. They even have a coupon code in the forum.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:52 AM
I am trying to check out the tasca parts but the website currently isn't working for me. I will search for the coupon code on here! That's awesome! Thanks Massey, that's probably exactly what has happened...Anybody have any tips on replacing the flexplate itself? I only have 1 floor transmission jack. I may just check into seeing how much the shop wants to install it if the job is extensive. Thank you guys for all the help!!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Contact Steve at Tasca directly - he's the rep that posts in the forum.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/in...asca-ford.html

Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was the truck involved in an accident at anytime? If the starter bolts are not torqued or were torqued so they are allowing the starter to be ****ed this can happen. If the flex plate is cracked usually in a radius around the outside of the mounting bolts this can also happen. Any misalignment with the starter which is pretty hard to do on these engines but can happen will prevent the starter from engaging and can also put enough pressure on the starter to slow the engagement of the teeth.
On a side note if you are removing the flex plate you may want to install a new rear main seal while its apart. Easy to do and the seals are fairly cheap. JMO.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Before you go buying parts, remove the inspection plate, start the engine and watch the flex plate. Is the ring gear straight on the flex plate or is it running crooked? If crooked, the weld on it may be bad. It can be rewelded providing the teeth are not ruined.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would just buy a new flexplate they are balanced and anytime you apply heat during welding (dependent on welders skill as well) you can distort the plate also adding weld to the plate can change the balance and generate a vibration..A distorted plate will allow inconsistent meshing of the plate teeth and starter gear. The flexplates are welded in a fixture during production to control distortion.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 01-10-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I had this issue on an old E350 van with the 5.4 at work. It wound up just being 2 teeth on the flex plate. It would only do it once in a great while, but it was annoying.

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Nightmare.....