Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Problems

I have a 2005 5.4 V8 Supercrew with just under 96,000 miles. After the cool weather arrived, I began to have problems starting it. The engine would crank but not start. On the second attempt, it would struggle to life. It would also smell really rich after the engine started. I put fuel injector cleaner in it. No change. I checked the battery and alternator. Both checked good. The check engine light kicked on after a week or so. The code was a missfire on cylinder 4. I took it to the shop. They replaced the spark plugs. Wires and coals. It did good for a few days but now it is back to the same problem. I haven't got the new code read yet but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem? And if the shop I went to ripped me off for $600.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's an '05, could be leaky fuel injectors.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 12-28-2013, 10:19 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You didn't get ripped off if those were the original plugs. They were overdue for change. It probably didn't need coils, but it doesn't HURT to change them when you have misfire issues. $600 is a very good price for plugs AND coils, installed. However, it IS too bad the shop wasn't aware of the specific 2005 fuel injector issue that Brew linked you to. You should take it to Ford to be checked out.

You don't have "wires", you have a coil on top of each plug.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My vehicle knowledge is lacking. So thank you for bearing with me. So after I got it back from the shop it seemed to be running fine. Then the starting problems began again. Same as before and then it threw another check engine light. I got my hands on a code reader and it is the same code. Misfire on Cylinder 4. I also noticed now my odometer display is flashing and saying check gauges when I start it. Another noticeable difference is when I come to a stop light. The engine (at an idle) feels like it is fighting the brake to jump forward. So I parked the truck until I could figure out what to do. I came back two days later and the check engine light is off and it starts up at the first attempt. It has been cold the last few days. So I have no clue what to think now.

Quick Reply: Starting Problems