2011 f-150 5.0L V8 lariat missing/misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 f-150 5.0L V8 lariat missing/misfiring

So Im a big ford lover and I bought this truck used it was running great back in April 2013 with 35,000km on it in September I decided to try it out on the highway to see what it could do got it up to 150km/h and backed off because it was red lining so a couple days later I decided to show my girlfriend and sink her back in the seat but this time it got to 145km/h and started shaking and my check engine light came started flashing so I stopped to look if I damaged anything, nothing and the light went out so I didn't think anything of it a month after that it started missing and misfiring I was at work so I changed the spark plugs myself at about 56,000km on the passengers side second plug from the front was covered in black gobs of carbon and it cleared it up but under load it would lug and misfire so 2 days after I changed them I brought it to ford and they replaced 2 coils and 7 plugs and again the second one from the front on the passengers side was starting to get covered in black Carbon so they told me they don't know what's wrong and to monitor that cylinder well now again the other day with 84,000km it did it again changed the plug but that didn't help still missing and a whooshing noise in the intake and ford can't do anything till after New Years anyone else have this problem?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Do a compression check to see if the compression is good in all eight cyl.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:50 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Smoke_eater03
So Im a big ford lover and I bought this truck used it was running great back in April 2013 with 35,000km on it in September I decided to try it out on the highway to see what it could do got it up to 150km/h and backed off because it was red lining so a couple days later I decided to show my girlfriend and sink her back in the seat but this time it got to 145km/h and started shaking and my check engine light came started flashing so I stopped to look if I damaged anything, nothing and the light went out so I didn't think anything of it a month after that it started missing and misfiring I was at work so I changed the spark plugs myself at about 56,000km on the passengers side second plug from the front was covered in black gobs of carbon and it cleared it up but under load it would lug and misfire so 2 days after I changed them I brought it to ford and they replaced 2 coils and 7 plugs and again the second one from the front on the passengers side was starting to get covered in black Carbon so they told me they don't know what's wrong and to monitor that cylinder well now again the other day with 84,000km it did it again changed the plug but that didn't help still missing and a whooshing noise in the intake and ford can't do anything till after New Years anyone else have this problem?
Longest....sentence....EVER!

Seriously, considering this is the longest run-on with no punctuation that I've ever seen, it's very hard to read. Try again, maybe?

A question: Just how much of this "sinking back in the seat" do you do?

Old 12-21-2013, 12:51 AM
No use doing a compression test the intake valve on that cylinder is stuck out a bit now. I think it's carbon holding it open. And sorry for the run on wasn't thinking that night haha, nightshift does that to you. And I only did it that one time, other than that I baby my truck. I'm also a volunteer firefighter and first responder so I may drive a little harder going to a call, but that's once in a blue moon. I have used my truck for work a few times, I'm a medic in the oilfield and we have to keep our units running for 12 hours a day. Other than that it gets babied.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Let us know what it takes to fix it.

I'd be really surprised if the problem is carbon buildup.

Last edited by Roadie; 12-21-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:05 PM
First mistake you did was trying to fix it yourself. An issue like this will be covered under your power train warranty. If a plug has black on it, it has carbon build up. So I would replace the coil&plug for that cylinder also. Let the dealership worry about it, you still have warranty.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 PM
So I brought my truck into the dealership on the 8th and told them what is was doing, they didn't really believe me and thought it would be a quick fix again. They changed the spark plug and coil in cylinder #2 and that didn't help. They did a compression test and it had low compression. They ripped the valve cover off everything there was good then they took the head off and what do you know, a piece of the exhaust valve broke off and went down into the cylinder and messed the piston up pretty good. So now they are going to reimburse me for the coil's and plugs they changed and charged me for and the ones I bought and changed. And putting a brand new engine in and sending that one back to ford.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks for letting us know the final verdict. We all learn from knowing.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Wow! Glad they are getting it fixed for you.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Just want to point this out to you EB haters - the 5.0 ain't perfect either.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
This sounds like a problem with a suppliers product failure. A little different from the apparent design problems with the EB, that they so far don't seem to have solutions. I'm not an EB hater at all but am very glad that I don't have to worry that if I am accelerating to pass that it may fall on its face. I have 67,000 trouble free miles and if I bought another truck today it would be a 5.0. I get better mileage than my two buddies EBs and can hang right with them. Again, not an E B hater, it's just not for me. Love my 5.0.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Ive noticed a few 5.0 problem threads popping up lately.. Not much has been said though

Originally Posted by Bluejay
This sounds like a problem with a suppliers product failure. A little different from the apparent design problems with the EB, that they so far don't seem to have solutions. I'm not an EB hater at all but am very glad that I don't have to worry that if I am accelerating to pass that it may fall on its face. I have 67,000 trouble free miles and if I bought another truck today it would be a 5.0. I get better mileage than my two buddies EBs and can hang right with them. Again, not an E B hater, it's just not for me. Love my 5.0.

Can that 5.0 even go fast enough to pass some one?

As far as the fuel mileage goes it depends how the truck is driven, alot of people dont know how to drive the ecoboost, brother in laws friend was complaining about his ecoboost fuel mileage, i rode with him and no wonder he was getting such poor mileage.. I drove his truck and got 4 mpg better on the same drive.. Now he gets good fuel mileage

You may be able to hang with an eb but you aint gonna pass one

Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MGD

Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
the EB seems to have more threads started on though....

Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Global Moderator &

No, they drive their EBs more conservatively than i do mine. Plus, when I drive theirs, I get no better than they do. Between 15 and 16 in mixed driving.

Hey, I've passed two old ladies, one of them twice!

Quick Reply: 2011 f-150 5.0L V8 lariat missing/misfiring