engine help pleae!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine help pleae!!!

I need some help with a timing issue, I have a 03 expedition 4.6 that I'm attempting to put new timing chains in. I got the engine on top dead center and the crank keyway is at the 6 oclock position the left side cam sprocket marks are lined up however the right side jumped a couple of teeth and the marks aren't in line. I pulled the chains, tensioners off and I didnt try and line the one cam sproket that was off first. my question is that an issue or do I just reinstall the new chains and tensioners and as long as I put everything back like its suppose to go when I release the tension off the tensioners the marks on the cam gear(s) should all line up correct? and second is it that important if the crank is on the compression or exhaust stroke. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
watch both these video's they will make sure you are following the steps to be safe these are ford training videos

Old 12-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by medicman
I need some help with a timing issue, I have a 03 expedition 4.6 that I'm attempting to put new timing chains in. I got the engine on top dead center and the crank keyway is at the 6 oclock position the left side cam sprocket marks are lined up however the right side jumped a couple of teeth and the marks aren't in line. I pulled the chains, tensioners off and I didnt try and line the one cam sproket that was off first. my question is that an issue or do I just reinstall the new chains and tensioners and as long as I put everything back like its suppose to go when I release the tension off the tensioners the marks on the cam gear(s) should all line up correct? and second is it that important if the crank is on the compression or exhaust stroke. Thanks for any and all help.
Good reason to be concerned. You only have one shot at getting this right. If thing it has jumped, don't take any chances. Other have and upon firing it up bent the valves.

I suggest informing user Dynotech of your problem. He has the experience your after.

Till then, check this out, -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...r-engines.html

Quick Reply: engine help pleae!!!