Truck loses power while driving in cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck loses power while driving in cold

Okay, first post, long time lurker: about 5 years to be exact.

I have a problem that I am having a hard time finding any information on and no one seems to have a clue as to what it could be.

I am not mechanical savy at all so I figured maybe someone else out there had an idea.

While driving down the road (speed is never the same, sometimes 60mph, sometimes 40, sometimes under 10) my truck will just lose power. The gages and everything looks normal just lose the acceleration, power steering, and power brakes... I can throw it into nuetral and it will start right back up (a slight hesitation than normal but not much). The thing is it only does it a few times a year, maybe 5-6 and only when its cold, like 35-40 F and below. it did it last year and I looked for some information and then it went away all summer so I forgot about it and it is doing it again. 35 degrees out this morning.

Im not sure how codes work, I know if the check engine light comes on you can read the code, when this happens the check engine light comes on breifly and the wrench light, but as soon as a start it, it goes away. would there still be a code saved that i could get?

the research i have done never mentions cold weather which is the only constant i have with this problem but some of the ideas i have seen people throw out are: dirty throttle body, throttle position sensor, air intake control module.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
What engine and what year?

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-26-2013, 10:45 AM
woops sorry, could have swore i put that in there, must have deleted it accidentally.

2006 5.4l

Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Global Moderator &

I should have asked more questions. It would help to have more info, such as how many miles on it, what maintenance has been done, such as plugs, fuel filter, has the throttle body and MAF been cleaned. Have you checked the fuel control module for corrosion? Also, you don't have an IAC, so we can eliminate that.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Global Moderator &

One other thought, you should get a scanner and see if some codes have been thrown. That would be a starting point.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:15 AM
like i said, not mechanical savy at all haha. It is right at about 84,000 miles, no maintence besides the normal regular oil changes, rotating balancing etc.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Global Moderator &

Ok, you have several things that are due or past due if I understand what you are saying. Things that could solve your problem:

New spark plugs and COP boots.
Clean throttle body and MAF
Fuel filter.
Check the fuel control module for corrosion, cracks

If those have not been done, it's past time. Again, hook it up to a scanner to see what codes are out there.

Other general maintenance that is due:

Exchange out the coolant.
If you tow, the transmission fluid needs to be exchanged, if no towing, wait till closer to 100,000 miles.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Yeah that was kind of what I was getting at, now I know where to start. Thank you

Quick Reply: Truck loses power while driving in cold