Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-1999, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Fuel Filter

I have heard from several reliable sources that in newer vehicles if the fuel level drops below 1/4 of a tank repeatedly, you can damage your fuel pump. Something to do with cooling it. Has anyone heard of this?

Old 11-13-1999, 12:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While it is true that "in-tank" electric pumps do use the fuel for cooling, I've never heard of the 1/4 tank minimum. Sounds a bit over-precautious to me.

Neal

Old 11-13-1999, 10:19 AM
My friend just had this happen in his motor home. It was frustrating to diagnos because it ran fine with more fuel in the tank. Even with only a little bit of fuel in the tank, once the pump cooled down, it worked for a while. I don't know that running the tank low caused the problem, but his motor home has a relatively small tank and he'd just done a cross country trip where he was stretching each tank out to the max. I would think that any fuel pump will wear out eventually.

Old 11-13-1999, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jonboy,
You can run your fuel pump below a 1/4 of a tank in your F-150 and not worry..I did it all of the time in my 98 F-150 without a single problem. Be very careful NOT to run it empty...because this can easily ruin your pump or clog your filter. In fact, you have to go below a 1/4 of a tank before the low fuel light will come on.

Some other newer vehicles just might have this restriction. There are no published restrictions for the F-150s to date about this that I have found.
---------------------------------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II

Old 11-15-1999, 03:28 AM
Ever notice even on "E" and low fuel light on that there is still about 3-5 gallons left?? Now you know why.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter