Engine Knocking, Oil pressure light flickering

Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Knocking, Oil pressure light flickering

I have a 2007 FX2 with the 5.4 triton and a couple months ago the engine started knocking while i was driving one day so i took it to Advanced and hooked it up to the computer and it said the cam shaft sensors needed to e replaced so i went home and cleaned them off and it ran fine! The other day i was driving and it did it again but this time the oil pressure gauge kept going back and forth between no pressure and really high pressure. got 2 cam sensors and put em on and it worked for about 5 minutes and then started sputtering down the road and wouldnt go anywhere and then immediately died. While driving if i revved up the engine the knocking would go away. Now im pulling up codes that have to do with timing and i have no clue where to even start. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Kory

Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
People won't be able to help much if you keep those codes a secret.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most likely you timing chain tensioner has failed! I would NOT drive it anymore until you get that diagnosed and repaired! The tensioner works off oil pressure and there is an o-ring that fails. That is almost certainly the problem.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Well i would love to be able to tell you the codes it pulled up but i cant remember exactly what they were and my truck is in Texas at my parents house and I'm back in Oklahoma for school. I saw a video on youtube that had a truck making the same noise but it said it was VCT solenoids. Another thing i forgot to mention was after it died i opened up the oil cap and it was smoking a little bit and the person following me said my exhaust fumes smelled funny.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM
If the cam chain tensioner fails you get VCT symptoms. Coupled with the low oil pressure its a strong indication of tensioner failure.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
If the cam chain tensioner fails you get VCT symptoms. Coupled with the low oil pressure its a strong indication of tensioner failure.
Ok I'll try that! Thanks

Old 03-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Hello jethat,
Some what similar problem with my 2003 f150 with 5.4. Started knocking sound two days ago wasn't that bad at first, went away after warming up but if i got on the throttle it would knock like crazy at about 3500, now its worse, thought cam phasers at first, not sure now, oil light came on and the the gauge dropped to 0 then came back up in normal range, did it twice, now I'm thinking oil pump problems? I just put in full synthetic oil with lucas stabilizer, too little too late? What do you think?

Old 03-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by zacru1
Hello jethat,
Some what similar problem with my 2003 f150 with 5.4. Started knocking sound two days ago wasn't that bad at first, went away after warming up but if i got on the throttle it would knock like crazy at about 3500, now its worse, thought cam phasers at first, not sure now, oil light came on and the the gauge dropped to 0 then came back up in normal range, did it twice, now I'm thinking oil pump problems? I just put in full synthetic oil with lucas stabilizer, too little too late? What do you think?
your engine dont have cam phasers. more likely an internal failure.. Is your check engine light coming on?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by jethat
your engine dont have cam phasers. more likely an internal failure.. Is your check engine light coming on?
too late I found it, lost the #7 and #8 connecting rod bearings, crank is shot will have to replace, thinking of buying replacement engine and just go overboard with the power up's. See if i can get a 5.4 bored 4to 6 over and slap a supercharger on top, going to go with cast rods and just try to bleed as much power out of it as possible.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kory, most of your symptoms seem to be timing related.... Except the fluctuating oil pressure. Most case sceniario if the oil pressure is fluctuating from zero to normal to zero and so on, it's bearing related. As the bearing spins it blocks the oil passage and causes a zero oil pressure reading. I hope this isn't the case.

Originally Posted by zacru1
slap a supercharger on top, going to go with cast rods and just try to bleed as much power out of it as possible.
If you are going with a blower, cast rods are the last thing you want. Forged pistons and forged rods or bust. You will find yourself in your current position (broke down) if you go with cast anything and boost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Knocking, Oil pressure light flickering