Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 f150 5.4 v8 issues..im officaly stumped

ok so im new here so sorry if i posted in the wrong place

anyhow i am having some issues with my truck and i cant figure it out

here is some background

2004 f150 new style 165k

has been bucking and surging for about a half a year on and off
has no power at times but im poor and only replace what i can afford at the time

3 weeks ago i was driving home and my truck just died out like it was out of gas
i pulled over to the side of the road and let it sit for a moment after waiting a few minutes i tryed to start it and it would start and idol for about 7 seconds but if i tryed to apply any gas it would die.... then it went to starting and idling for about 3 seconds and then died off...

i replaced the fuel pump the fpcm...and still no cigar......the garage its at now looked at it and they say fuel pressure and injectors all check out ok

error codes:
P0012
p0022
p00171
p00174
p00300

any help would be great

Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Replace both cam timing solenoids. Use Motorcraft parts ONLY. Costs about 25 bucks each. That will resolve the first 2 codes. Replace the entire PCV system including the hose. The hose is a known issue with these two codes 171, 174. At Rock Auto-cost about 25 bucks. Use Motorcraft ONLY or expect issues. The last one means you have a random miss. That one can be expensive to find but if it hasn't seen a tune up for a while, I'd start there with new Motorcraft plugs. If possible, I'd suggest running a good dose of Techron thru the gas before attempting to change the plugs in that engine. They're noted for breaking off due to carbon deposits on the long shanks. The Techron relieves some of the deposits.
I've been poor before. If you have any mechanical knowledge at all you can fix this yerself. Research the net for the placement of the solenoids. They are a plug in item. The PCV is a no brainer to remove and replace but getting to it can be an issue but doable. IN a shop with a trained tech, this is maybe a 20 minute fix for all of the above. I would not suggest trying the spark plug change for a novice.

Edit: here's a breakdown of the solenoids:

Last edited by Labnerd; 12-06-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Replace both cam timing solenoids. Use Motorcraft parts ONLY. Costs about 25 bucks each. That will resolve the first 2 codes. Replace the entire PCV system including the hose. The hose is a known issue with these two codes 171, 174. At Rock Auto-cost about 25 bucks. Use Motorcraft ONLY or expect issues. The last one means you have a random miss. That one can be expensive to find but if it hasn't seen a tune up for a while, I'd start there with new Motorcraft plugs. If possible, I'd suggest running a good dose of Techron thru the gas before attempting to change the plugs in that engine. They're noted for breaking off due to carbon deposits on the long shanks. The Techron relieves some of the deposits.
I've been poor before. If you have any mechanical knowledge at all you can fix this yerself. Research the net for the placement of the solenoids. They are a plug in item. The PCV is a no brainer to remove and replace but getting to it can be an issue but doable. IN a shop with a trained tech, this is maybe a 20 minute fix for all of the above. I would not suggest trying the spark plug change for a novice.

Edit: here's a breakdown of the solenoids:

I was under the assumption the PCV system on the 04+ 5.4L was integral with the intake manifold?? No PCV valve or hoses as in the past. Don't you need to remove the intake to get to the components of this system ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 f150 5.4 v8 issues..im officaly stumped