Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!





Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Junior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thornbury, On, Canada
Vehicle: 2012 ford F150
Posts: 5
2012 5.0L oil usage

good afternoon,

I have 5000km on my new 2012 stx, I checked the oil the other day and noticed it's down a liter.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it common or should be seriously concerned?

Let know,

Thanks

Bucky
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
2005 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,265
How many miles on the engine and how many miles to use the litre? Mine uses almost a qt in 5000 miles.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Junior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thornbury, On, Canada
Vehicle: 2012 ford F150
Posts: 5
Hey Bluejay,

Thanks for the reply. It would work out to be the same usage as your truck.

Just seems weird to me that a vehicle with only 5000km on it uses oil.

Thanks again

Bucky
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 5.4L 4X4
Posts: 25,571
The newer they are, the more they use oil. Until fully broke in. Some use a little oil throughout. It's normal, well Ford has it normal to use 1 quart per 1000 miles or 1600 km's
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky34 View Post
good afternoon,

I have 5000km on my new 2012 stx, I checked the oil the other day and noticed it's down a liter.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it common or should be seriously concerned?

Let know,

Thanks

Bucky
How did you determine that it was down a liter? Most cars and trucks anymore aren't at the top mark when full. Some (mine included) have been about half way between the top and bottom mark when filled with the proper quantity of oil. The only way to know where the true "full" mark is, is to do your own oil change (I do) and fill it with the exact amount called for in the manual after a filter and oil change. Once run and let to drain down, that mark on the dip stick, on LEVEL ground, will be your full mark. Scribe your stick for the full mark. DON'T fill to top mark, if the prescribed amount doesn't bring it to there. Most manufacturers quit putting "full" and "low" on the sticks quite a few years ago and MOST don't come to the top mark when full.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
2005 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by code58 View Post
How did you determine that it was down a liter? Most cars and trucks anymore aren't at the top mark when full. Some (mine included) have been about half way between the top and bottom mark when filled with the proper quantity of oil. The only way to know where the true "full" mark is, is to do your own oil change (I do) and fill it with the exact amount called for in the manual after a filter and oil change. Once run and let to drain down, that mark on the dip stick, on LEVEL ground, will be your full mark. Scribe your stick for the full mark. DON'T fill to top mark, if the prescribed amount doesn't bring it to there. Most manufacturers quit putting "full" and "low" on the sticks quite a few years ago and MOST don't come to the top mark when full.
That is good advice. Do an oil change and fill it with 8 qts. After it sits a while, check the level. That will be your full mark, and go from there.

I expect one to use a small amount of oil, I want it to do so. A quart in 5000 miles is very low usage. By using a small amount, it is less likely to be so tight that it wears out sooner.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sykesville, MD
Vehicle: 2012 ford f150
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew View Post
The newer they are, the more they use oil. Until fully broke in. Some use a little oil throughout. It's normal, well Ford has it normal to use 1 quart per 1000 miles or 1600 km's
agreed.

Ford says for approx the first 10k miles, the 5.0 will consume a little bit of oil. anything more 1qt/1k miles is considered excessive.
after 10k miles a consumption rate of 1qt/1500 miles is considered normal.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Wilmington,NC
Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
Posts: 1,399
It has been my experience with 5.4 engines that they use a qt of oil in about 2500 miles until one I owned had about 80,000 miles on it. The other one used a qt in about 2500 miles until about 70,000 miles. After that many miles the oil consumption was a qt in about 5,000 - 6.000 miles. It takes a long time for the rings to fully seat.

I've had a similar experience with a 94 5.0 truck engine and a 200 cu. inch 81 Granada engine.

Also, full on my truck is at the 1/2 qt low level on the dip stick. If I add that extra 1/2 qt, it will disappear until it gets to the 1/2 qt low level.
__________________
Roadie
2002F150LariatFX4Supercab5.4L
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
That is good advice. Do an oil change and fill it with 8 qts. After it sits a while, check the level. That will be your full mark, and go from there.

I expect one to use a small amount of oil, I want it to do so. A quart in 5000 miles is very low usage. By using a small amount, it is less likely to be so tight that it wears out sooner.
Blue, did you mean to say 8 qts. or is that a mis-stroke? Maybe 6?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
2005 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by code58 View Post
Blue, did you mean to say 8 qts. or is that a mis-stroke? Maybe 6?
The 5.0 which I think he has calls for 7.7 qts. Everyone just puts in 8 if you are using cans. Who knows what each bulk user does.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Statesville, NC
Vehicle: 2001 Ford Expedition
Posts: 1,054
I ran into a similar issue with Expedition. It ended up they were only putting 5 in during teh oil change instead of the 6 called for. This is based on teh quoted oil change price, with 5 qts oil. I now specifically tell them 6 qts, and they charge for one more.
__________________

Glen
2001 Expedition XLT Sport, 5.4 L, AWD with rear LS and 4.10s, Bilsteins, Kelly Safari TSRs 285-70-17 on Helo 791s in black, Edge CTS, MagnaFlow, Volant CAI
2004 G35 Sedan, BBS Wheels, Stillen Suspension, Body Kit, BBK
2005 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000
1993 VFR 750/ RC 30 Big Bore
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Junior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thornbury, On, Canada
Vehicle: 2012 ford F150
Posts: 5
Thanks to everyone for the great information.

This site is an amazing way to really find out the info instead of dealing with the dealership.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Posts: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
The 5.0 which I think he has calls for 7.7 qts. Everyone just puts in 8 if you are using cans. Who knows what each bulk user does.
Blue- you should know since you're '11 is also a 5.0L. I realize you probably don't change your own oil, I'm just amazed at that quantity since it seems like a lot of cars are dropping quantity, rather than increasing. Oil companies should like that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
2005 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by code58 View Post
Blue- you should know since you're '11 is also a 5.0L. I realize you probably don't change your own oil, I'm just amazed at that quantity since it seems like a lot of cars are dropping quantity, rather than increasing. Oil companies should like that.
Yep, I was surprised,after buying the truck, to discover that the smaller 5.0 took a quart more than my 5.4. May have something to do with it being a high RPM engine. I don't know.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
2005 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,265
One thing is for sure---with all the different quantities required for various engines, always check the level after an oil change. Twice, with my 5.4, I was shorted a quart and this was at a Ford dealer. The first time it happened, the service writer even argued with me that it only took 6 qts, when I went in and informed him it was a quart low. He the proceeded to look it up to prove to me and I got to point out the difference in a 2v and a 3v. I never drive off without pulling the dip stick. That will also eliminate the possibility of their forgetting to put the new oil in.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 AM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details