Theft Light Blinking, won't start...Help!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theft Light Blinking, won't start...Help!

Hi everyone I have seen some past posts on this but thought I might throw out my scenario, I have a 97 Eddie Bauer Expedition with the 4.6, I just replaced the heater core last week ( removed the dash and all) when I put it back together the truck started fine. I let it sit a few days and went out to use it on Sunday and the battery was dead, not sure what drained it, but I put the charger on it for 20 minutes and went to start it, and it cranked over like crazy but wouldn't start. I then noticed the "theft" light blinking like crazy and it won't start. I disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour, like I seen on some posts, but that did not work. I do have a friend that has the OBD scanner from snap on, is there anything we could do to get this thing going without going to the dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 PM
turn your key on and let the theft light blink fast, and one minute it will slow down and give you a code, it will be a 2 dig code, check that code and post it and i'll try to help yo with it, i just went thought all of this my self withmy 2000 f150

Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour, like I seen on some posts, but that did not work.
It never does.

I do have a friend that has the OBD scanner from snap on,
Have him pull the DTCs to see why the PATS system is being triggered.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 AM
I let the light blink for about 1 minute and it went off, I am not sure about a code, are you talking about having it hooked up to scanner? I do have the 2 large repair manuals from Ford on the 97 Expedition, I am looking through that right now, but it seems like I will have to get the scanner tool. I have one of the small scan tools to check codes, and that says no codes are present.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 AM
I also do have the original owners manuals for it.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Go get your buddy with the Snap-On and have him use it to pull the PATS codes. Without it, you're likely just wasting your time.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I have looked all over the internet and all of the simpler things to fix this problem I have tried with no success, so I just called a tow truck to take my Expedition to the dealer, It's going to be really hot this weekend and I need it, to tow my boat to the lake. Thanks to all that have taken the time to try and help. I'll let you all know what the problem is when it's fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Theft Light Blinking, won't start...Help!