Low idle and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low idle and stalling

I had checked just about everything there is to be checked for the low idle issue. I could not find the problem so I took it to the dealership.
They told me it was a bad VTC sensor and cam phazer, which I found funny because the engine runs really smooth with no knocking.
They did the job and called me back to tell me it wasn't that the problem, it was no oil pressure and the engine needs to be replaced.

When I baught the vehicule last month I also baught a three year powertrain warranty. Should i let them change the engine or take it to another dealership for a second oppinion.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:50 PM
What I mean is if ford had a wrong diagnostic with the cam phazer can they be wrong with the burnt engine.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 PM
engine light? low or no oil pressure will cause stalling but i have never seen it cause a low idle condition, plus the oil pressure gauge would read no pressure if there was none and the engine would knock or rattle. sounds more like a drive by wire problem. being that you bought the truck last month i guess you dont know the service history? i'd clean the throttle body, maf, and check for vacuum leaks. or you could take it to another dealer that knows what to look at. or you could go ahead and get a free engine out of it

Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a Chevy ( I know we all have done things we're not proud of ) and had a dealer tell me I needed a new engine. Took it to another shop and it was a $75 wire harness. I got my diagnosis fee refunded from the dealer.

I would get a second opinion. It's funny how it went from Vct to a complete engine. I don't think I would let them touch it until some body did some serious splainning. At least with a second opinion you will have some peace of mind if they also say you need a complete engine. Then you can pick which ever one you have confidence in to do the job.

It kinda sounds like the dealer you took it to is a parts thrower, the way you tell the story.

Good luck

Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by jgger
I had a Chevy ( I know we all have done things we're not proud of ) and had a dealer tell me I needed a new engine. Took it to another shop and it was a $75 wire harness. I got my diagnosis fee refunded from the dealer.

I would get a second opinion. It's funny how it went from Vct to a complete engine. I don't think I would let them touch it until some body did some serious splainning. At least with a second opinion you will have some peace of mind if they also say you need a complete engine. Then you can pick which ever one you have confidence in to do the job.

It kinda sounds like the dealer you took it to is a parts thrower, the way you tell the story.

Good luck
I'M with you on this one, I took the truck there to have the computer reflashed which they completly refused to do,saying that there is no update on my truck.
I personaly think it's eletrical the problem. What if they swap the engine and the problem is still there!
I know the oil gauge on these vehicule are not accurate at all but it was giving me a perfect reading before going in to the shop.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whats the out of pocket cost if they cover it on the warranty? its an 06 with how many miles? might let them do it just to get an engine under warranty..

Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by jethat
Whats the out of pocket cost if they cover it on the warranty? its an 06 with how many miles? might let them do it just to get an engine under warranty..
I don't pay one cent It has 68K on it. The after market warranty that I baught is good for three years and it cost me a thousand dollars.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would let them do it and pay close attention to what they do.. Remaned engine would be good.. Get your moneys worth out of that warranty..

Quick Reply: Low idle and stalling