5.4 triton timing after screwing up timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 5.4 triton timing after screwing up timing

Im doing a timing assembly replacement to my 5.4 and forgot to turn the crank to 6 o'clock after removing the three roller followers per side and the timing chains. Could you please help me out? I have no idea what to do now.

Should I find TDC by using the screw driver in cylinder one trick and remove the rest of the roller followers and set it by that?

Old 02-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ouch. Frankly, if it were ME, I would go ahead an bite the bullet. Remove Phasers, then cam journals and cams - keeping journal caps / roller followers in their exact order & orientation. That would allow you to check cam journals / bearing surfaces, blow out / clean oil passageways and inspect lash adjusters and roller/followers any way.

With cams removed - you can turn crank any way without worry. When you go back together - phasers have alignment pins for cam orientation and you can install by position of phaser fingers.

I replaced all my lash adjusters / roller followers by 'gently' placing every one of them in place - and 'very gently' laying cam on them and installed cam journal caps a quarter turn up and down the cam until seated. ((Only knocked off a couple of roller followers a couple of times on each side -- but got them ALL on at once)). Then used a breaker bar on phaser bolt to align timing chain with marks. //Redneck method//

Last edited by F150Torqued; 02-08-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.4 triton timing after screwing up timing