WHAT IS GOING ON! Someone help! 2001 F150

Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT IS GOING ON! Someone help! 2001 F150

Ok so here is the story that has my mind blown on what it could be, im hoping someone that is mechanically inclined can help me out or at least lead me in the right direction to what is wrong here!?

About three days ago I was driving to my friends house when I noticed my truck was running VERY rough and this light came on:

So I then shut down the truck and let it sit for about 5 minutes and tried starting it and it would turn over but the truck wouldnt start, so I shut it down and tried again and it started but was hesitant, brought it back home and popped the hood.

When I popped the hood I checked the oil and realized I ran bone dry out of oil, so I took my parents car and went and bought Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and a K&N Filter and filled her back up to normal.

On my way back home from autozone to drop my oil off I was approaching a stop sign when I realized my brake pedal had gone to the floor, luckily I was around the block when I got home and realized I had a busted brake line. So I had the brake line replaced and now this is happening:

The light is still on but now also the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is on AND this gauge is pegged down below C but will sometimes jump up to H for a few seconds and then back down below C:

Now here are all the symptoms my truck is giving me:
- Service engine soon light
- Warm AC at random times whenever the light is on
- Rough idle and when the light is on its usually 1k or higher
- Feels like it wants to stall when I tap the gas quickly
- Gauge pegged below C and sometimes H
- The reg light comes on which is the engine coolant/pressure??
- Loss of power whenever the light is on and the temp is pegged down
---------------------------------------------------------

Oh and my truck is also throwing the following codes:
P1289 - Cylinder Head Temp Sensor High Input
P1000 (code is normal)

P1117 - Engine Coolant Sensor intermittent/ECT Sensor Intermittent
P1635

I was reading in the F150 manual on page 222 about fail-safe cooling and everything that it describes is happening to me, loss of power and my AC is sometimes disabled whenever the light is illuminated, which keeps switching on and off.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:18 AM
Sooo where should I start off since I really don't know a whole lot about mechanical stuff on cars I just know the very basics such as doing an oil change....my friend said to first replace my CHT sensor but im looking for more opinions before I do anything

Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 AM
is it still leaking oil?
if so, is it a large pool or small?
is the exhaust smokey? if so, what colour?
how many miles/km's on the truck
when you look under the truck, is the under-carriage covered in oil/grease?

not sure about your problem here, but you running completely out of oil is a huge problem, not catastrophic but something you should keep an eye on.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, - and it's still running ? Well, keep your eye's open for a new engine, yea , this doesn't look good. Specially considering the way it came to be. Well, can't change that now.

How low was it ? Couldn't have been empty. They won't run more than a have mile before buying the farm. A piston will end up in the lower intake lol.

IMO, you should have just used the recommended filter and oil after something like this. A full synthetic didn't help, made things worse IMO.

My guess is that it ran low and hot freeing up sludge here and there. Then, the full synthetic in place of the recommended blend freed up even more.

So now that crap is plugin the pick up screen and screwing with the pump. Honestly, -it could go boom soon. Real soon.

Sorry for the bad news, - and that's just my opinion. Maybe others here will have a good suggestion for yuh. I really don't, other than dropping the pan and cleaning her out. It might not be as bad as I think it is.

Good Luck.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:47 AM
My guess is that it ran low and hot freeing up sludge here and there.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Concept
is it still leaking oil?
if so, is it a large pool or small?
is the exhaust smokey? if so, what colour?
how many miles/km's on the truck
when you look under the truck, is the under-carriage covered in oil/grease?

not sure about your problem here, but you running completely out of oil is a huge problem, not catastrophic but something you should keep an eye on.
Nope it was never leaking oil, I guess I just burnt it up because I bought it from a guy about two months ago and as stupid as it seems I never really checked the oil level after the day I bought it "/

No smoke is coming from the exhaust at all, there is 185,xxx miles on the truck, honestly its hard to say if there is grease under the carraige because I busted a brake line the other day and the fluid got everywhere so its hard to tell whats what but no before that there was no leaks anywhere.

Originally Posted by jbrew
Wow, - and it's still running ? Well, keep your eye's open for a new engine, yea , this doesn't look good. Specially considering the way it came to be. Well, can't change that now.

How low was it ? Couldn't have been empty. They won't run more than a have mile before buying the farm. A piston will end up in the lower intake lol.

IMO, you should have just used the recommended filter and oil after something like this. A full synthetic didn't help, made things worse IMO.

My guess is that it ran low and hot freeing up sludge here and there. Then, the full synthetic in place of the recommended blend freed up even more.

So now that crap is plugin the pick up screen and screwing with the pump. Honestly, -it could go boom soon. Real soon.

Sorry for the bad news, - and that's just my opinion. Maybe others here will have a good suggestion for yuh. I really don't, other than dropping the pan and cleaning her out. It might not be as bad as I think it is.

Good Luck.
It was so low that the oil was at the VERY bottom of the dipstick, like a needle sized drop on the bottom. Because I wasn't sure of the oil previously used by the last owned I just thought since it was a high milage truck that I would do a full synthetic change because thats what i've always used in all my other trucks/cars I have used and never had a single problem

Originally Posted by glc
Have you checked the coolant level?
Yes I checked the coolant yesterday and its at the correct level, thats why I think a sensor is just tripping the system out and making me go into fail-safe mode and im not actually overheating?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 PM

Yea, that's only 2 quarts low. That engines still in trouble. If you have always ran the same oil, - that's not so bad.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Yea, that's only 2 quarts low. That engines still in trouble. If you have always ran the same oil, - that's not so bad.
From reading other posts on google and doing a ton of research last night I think and HOPE I may just luck out and it may be the CHT sensor just tripping the whole system out and causin it to go into limp mode, gunna go buy the sensor and see if my buddy can help me put it in tonight, I think its right under the alternator?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
really...

Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Really what..?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by JB772
From reading other posts on google and doing a ton of research last night I think and HOPE I may just luck out and it may be the CHT sensor just tripping the whole system out and causin it to go into limp mode, gunna go buy the sensor and see if my buddy can help me put it in tonight, I think its right under the alternator?
Inside front of the drivers side head. The knock sensor is more less under the alternator. However the alternator needs to be removed to access the CHT.

Inspect the CHT wires good, they like to break inside the insulation. Mine did, but it didn't cause even close to the problems your having.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Truck is running like new again! Replaced the CHT sensor because it was all rotted out and now its running like a champ! Thank you everyone for the much needed helpp!!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by JB772
Truck is running like new again! Replaced the CHT sensor because it was all rotted out and now its running like a champ! Thank you everyone for the much needed helpp!!
Okay, so I am having the exact same issues, except for the fact that my oil pressure gauge drops instead of the oil temp gauge. Other than that I've got the same problems. I see that your truck is a '01 while mine is a '02. Was your sensor
Inside front of the drivers side head. The knock sensor is more less under the alternator. However the alternator needs to be removed to access the CHT.
or was it on top of the intake cross member in the front/center. I ask because I'm wondering if that sensor does more than my CHT sensor, which is below the altenator. I read this thread and went and replaced my CHT sensor, and nothing changed... so I'm curious if there is a difference in function of the CHT sensor for a '01 vs. a '02.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bithlo
or was it on top of the intake cross member in the front/center. I ask because I'm wondering if that sensor does more than my CHT sensor, which is below the altenator. I read this thread and went and replaced my CHT sensor, and nothing changed... so I'm curious if there is a difference in function of the CHT sensor for a '01 vs. a '02.
No,the knock sensor is below, top of the block cavity. Nothing on the crossover in 02, - unless it's a 4.6L. But, I believe those sensors were deleted before 02 with that engine..(?) Well, not going to waste anymore time since you haven't posted which engine you have. Plus, you haven't filled your info in, - top right corner. Hard to help that way..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WHAT IS GOING ON! Someone help! 2001 F150