5.0 vs. ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 vs. ecoboost

Hi! I am considering either getting a new fx4 with either the 5.0 or ecoboost. I am just leary about the cost of fixing a turbo if something goes wrong as I heard it is expensive. Does anyone know how expensive it is? I am thinking the 5.0 is the safer bet, but would realy like the ecoboost. Thanks alot!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Your question will start the engine wars again, so be prepared.

I had some of the same reservations when I bought and after driving both, chose the 5.0. I have 23,000 miles on it and love it so far. Just last week, someone posted that there was some evidence that the EB was having problems with the direct injection system. Don't know if there is much to it or not, but something to watch for. On economy, after reading all the posts on this site, it seems to me that the EB does great if you stay out of the turbos, but if you drive it as I normally drive, the mpg is not all that great. I'm a grandpa, but do not drive like one, and get great mpg out of my 5.0. I do not do any heavy towing, so the extra tow benefit of the EB is of no value to me.

Use the search button and you will find lots to read about both engines.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks alot for the reply. I won't be towing anything with it, so I'm not too worried about mileage, but with the price tag on a new one, I am paranoid about something going wrong. I suppose something can go wrong with anything, though, haha. I only have 44000 miles on my 2006, so I'm hoping for a fairly good trade in.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldn't have any problems with the Turbos. It's 2012 and am sure any problems will appear sooner rarther than later.

Turbo timer would be a good idea.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My son works at Ford in the Dyno dept and claims the Ecoboost turbos are designed for over 200,000 miles of trouble free use. He traded in his 2006 f150 for a 2011 with the 5.0. He pulls a 4000lb boat alot for fishing tournaments and loves the 5.0 for the power and fuel economy versus his old 5.4. If I was buying a new truck today I would get the 5.0 but I tend to be a little old school when it comes to V8's as truck engines . Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 04-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I don't know too much about motors. Hopefully I will make the right choice!!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Your question will start the engine wars again, so be prepared.

I had some of the same reservations when I bought and after driving both, chose the 5.0. I have 23,000 miles on it and love it so far. Just last week, someone posted that there was some evidence that the EB was having problems with the direct injection system. Don't know if there is much to it or not, but something to watch for. On economy, after reading all the posts on this site, it seems to me that the EB does great if you stay out of the turbos, but if you drive it as I normally drive, the mpg is not all that great. I'm a grandpa, but do not drive like one, and get great mpg out of my 5.0. I do not do any heavy towing, so the extra tow benefit of the EB is of no value to me.

Use the search button and you will find lots to read about both engines.
I wonder why the EB would have direct injection problems and the 5.0 would not.. I thought they both have the same injection systems? I know one is turbo and the other is not.. but the fuel gets into the cylinder the same way.. right?

Also for the original poster.. I have the 11 EB and have just over 10k miles on it and have had no problems "yet"

Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 AM
The turbos seem to be made by Borg Warner. They have been in the OEM and aftermarket turbo business a looong time. Additionally, modern turbos are water cooled, so no timers are needed. Dont worry about them, they will last. Drive both and buy the one you like best. I went with the ecoboost for the incredible low end grunt.

Last edited by FoX 4; 04-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by beagles99
Thanks alot for the reply. I won't be towing anything with it, so I'm not too worried about mileage, but with the price tag on a new one, I am paranoid about something going wrong. I suppose something can go wrong with anything, though, haha. I only have 44000 miles on my 2006, so I'm hoping for a fairly good trade in.
Dude your 06 with 44,000 miles is not even broke in yet! Take care of it and you can put another 200,000 miles on it. I'm driving my 97 until it dies or I do which ever happens first lol.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 04-08-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Luca1500
I wonder why the EB would have direct injection problems and the 5.0 would not.. I thought they both have the same injection systems? I know one is turbo and the other is not.. but the fuel gets into the cylinder the same way.. right?

Also for the original poster.. I have the 11 EB and have just over 10k miles on it and have had no problems "yet"
I think you may be correct that they are both direct injection and the same problem may come up with the 5.0, or as I hope, maybe the problem is not really a problem at all for either engine. This thread was what prompted my comment in the previous post.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v6...rect+injection

Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 5.0 is not DI, it is standard Multi-Port EFI.

DI = a high pressure fuel injector is in the head just like the spark plug

MP EFI = the fuel injector is in the intake runner above the intake valves

The DI is a more efficient method of fuel delivery but like all new tech it brought an existing problem to light. The build up on the valves was really bad in the first generation of DI engines. The later models have many things done to address this issue. Ford was not making DI engines when the problems were the worst. I asked my service department if they have had any problems with this and so far nothing. In fact the only problem they have had on any EB motor is 1 rear main seal.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
I drove both and I purchased the 5.0. I liked the response and sound better. I have had it for almost three weeks now and love my decision!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by npd9769
I drove both and I purchased the 5.0. I liked the response and sound better. I have had it for almost three weeks now and love my decision!
Those were my decision makers as well and it was the correct choice for me. Also, everytime I get on the 5.0 to pass or whatever, my hotrodder wife says "I'm so glad you bought this engine, I could not stand the sound of that V6." Someone was watching out for me! I can only imagine the comments I would hear otherwise.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Dude your 06 with 44,000 miles is not even broke in yet! Take care of it and you can put another 200,000 miles on it. I'm driving my 97 until it dies or I do which ever happens first lol.

Haha, I am trying to talk myself into keeping it. I definitely don't need a new truck, but I really WANT one. It will be a few of months before I can get one, so maybe I'll change my mind.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by FoX 4
Drive both and buy the one you like best. I went with the ecoboost for the incredible low end grunt.
you plan on putting any after market exhaust on that beast?

Originally Posted by Wookie
In fact the only problem they have had on any EB motor is 1 rear main seal.
what was wrong with it man? leaking oil a lil? pressure bent it ?

and if u do trade the 2004 in beagles ,let us know how much you get for it. I'm in a 2010 XLT with 38,000 miles they said they'd give me around 20K for it,trade in.

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs. ecoboost