Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!





Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
5.0 vs. ecoboost

Hi! I am considering either getting a new fx4 with either the 5.0 or ecoboost. I am just leary about the cost of fixing a turbo if something goes wrong as I heard it is expensive. Does anyone know how expensive it is? I am thinking the 5.0 is the safer bet, but would realy like the ecoboost. Thanks alot!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
2005 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,277
Your question will start the engine wars again, so be prepared.

I had some of the same reservations when I bought and after driving both, chose the 5.0. I have 23,000 miles on it and love it so far. Just last week, someone posted that there was some evidence that the EB was having problems with the direct injection system. Don't know if there is much to it or not, but something to watch for. On economy, after reading all the posts on this site, it seems to me that the EB does great if you stay out of the turbos, but if you drive it as I normally drive, the mpg is not all that great. I'm a grandpa, but do not drive like one, and get great mpg out of my 5.0. I do not do any heavy towing, so the extra tow benefit of the EB is of no value to me.

Use the search button and you will find lots to read about both engines.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks alot for the reply. I won't be towing anything with it, so I'm not too worried about mileage, but with the price tag on a new one, I am paranoid about something going wrong. I suppose something can go wrong with anything, though, haha. I only have 44000 miles on my 2006, so I'm hoping for a fairly good trade in.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150
Posts: 949
Shouldn't have any problems with the Turbos. It's 2012 and am sure any problems will appear sooner rarther than later.

Turbo timer would be a good idea.
__________________
Just another Eco-Boost 'Eating' 3v, Don't feel bad!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150 4.6
Posts: 1,628
My son works at Ford in the Dyno dept and claims the Ecoboost turbos are designed for over 200,000 miles of trouble free use. He traded in his 2006 f150 for a 2011 with the 5.0. He pulls a 4000lb boat alot for fishing tournaments and loves the 5.0 for the power and fuel economy versus his old 5.4. If I was buying a new truck today I would get the 5.0 but I tend to be a little old school when it comes to V8's as truck engines . Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 04-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks for the info guys. I don't know too much about motors. Hopefully I will make the right choice!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Member
2011 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
Your question will start the engine wars again, so be prepared.

I had some of the same reservations when I bought and after driving both, chose the 5.0. I have 23,000 miles on it and love it so far. Just last week, someone posted that there was some evidence that the EB was having problems with the direct injection system. Don't know if there is much to it or not, but something to watch for. On economy, after reading all the posts on this site, it seems to me that the EB does great if you stay out of the turbos, but if you drive it as I normally drive, the mpg is not all that great. I'm a grandpa, but do not drive like one, and get great mpg out of my 5.0. I do not do any heavy towing, so the extra tow benefit of the EB is of no value to me.

Use the search button and you will find lots to read about both engines.
I wonder why the EB would have direct injection problems and the 5.0 would not.. I thought they both have the same injection systems? I know one is turbo and the other is not.. but the fuel gets into the cylinder the same way.. right?

Also for the original poster.. I have the 11 EB and have just over 10k miles on it and have had no problems "yet"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 AM
Junior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6
The turbos seem to be made by Borg Warner. They have been in the OEM and aftermarket turbo business a looong time. Additionally, modern turbos are water cooled, so no timers are needed. Dont worry about them, they will last. Drive both and buy the one you like best. I went with the ecoboost for the incredible low end grunt.
__________________
2012 FX4 SCrew Ecoboost
1989 SSP Notch Mustang 5.slow

Last edited by FoX 4; 04-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan
Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150 4.6
Posts: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagles99 View Post
Thanks alot for the reply. I won't be towing anything with it, so I'm not too worried about mileage, but with the price tag on a new one, I am paranoid about something going wrong. I suppose something can go wrong with anything, though, haha. I only have 44000 miles on my 2006, so I'm hoping for a fairly good trade in.
Dude your 06 with 44,000 miles is not even broke in yet! Take care of it and you can put another 200,000 miles on it. I'm driving my 97 until it dies or I do which ever happens first lol.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 04-08-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
2005 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca1500 View Post
I wonder why the EB would have direct injection problems and the 5.0 would not.. I thought they both have the same injection systems? I know one is turbo and the other is not.. but the fuel gets into the cylinder the same way.. right?

Also for the original poster.. I have the 11 EB and have just over 10k miles on it and have had no problems "yet"
I think you may be correct that they are both direct injection and the same problem may come up with the 5.0, or as I hope, maybe the problem is not really a problem at all for either engine. This thread was what prompted my comment in the previous post.
Talked to BG rep today.....
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
2011 Ford F-150
My Garage
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cabot, AR
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F-150
Posts: 1,468
The 5.0 is not DI, it is standard Multi-Port EFI.

DI = a high pressure fuel injector is in the head just like the spark plug

MP EFI = the fuel injector is in the intake runner above the intake valves

The DI is a more efficient method of fuel delivery but like all new tech it brought an existing problem to light. The build up on the valves was really bad in the first generation of DI engines. The later models have many things done to address this issue. Ford was not making DI engines when the problems were the worst. I asked my service department if they have had any problems with this and so far nothing. In fact the only problem they have had on any EB motor is 1 rear main seal.
__________________
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Best
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
2011 Platinum Ecoboost, 2001 Audi S4, 1986 Porsche 928S
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oklahoma
Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Posts: 18
I drove both and I purchased the 5.0. I liked the response and sound better. I have had it for almost three weeks now and love my decision!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Global Moderator &
Senior Member
2005 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Burleson/Athens/Brownsboro, TX
Vehicle: 2011 Ford F150, 5.0
Posts: 23,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by npd9769 View Post
I drove both and I purchased the 5.0. I liked the response and sound better. I have had it for almost three weeks now and love my decision!
Those were my decision makers as well and it was the correct choice for me. Also, everytime I get on the 5.0 to pass or whatever, my hotrodder wife says "I'm so glad you bought this engine, I could not stand the sound of that V6." Someone was watching out for me! I can only imagine the comments I would hear otherwise.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
Dude your 06 with 44,000 miles is not even broke in yet! Take care of it and you can put another 200,000 miles on it. I'm driving my 97 until it dies or I do which ever happens first lol.



Haha, I am trying to talk myself into keeping it. I definitely don't need a new truck, but I really WANT one. It will be a few of months before I can get one, so maybe I'll change my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kentucky
Vehicle: 2012 Ford F250
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoX 4 View Post
Drive both and buy the one you like best. I went with the ecoboost for the incredible low end grunt.
you plan on putting any after market exhaust on that beast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
In fact the only problem they have had on any EB motor is 1 rear main seal.
what was wrong with it man? leaking oil a lil? pressure bent it ?

and if u do trade the 2004 in beagles ,let us know how much you get for it. I'm in a 2010 XLT with 38,000 miles they said they'd give me around 20K for it,trade in.
__________________
2010 supercrew xlt tuxedo black
4.6l 3v air raid CAI ,magnaflow(catback)bullet turndown
H&R shackle,bilstein HD shocks,H&R coilovers
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 PM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details