OIL CONSUMPTION-2005 5.4L Triton

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OIL CONSUMPTION-2005 5.4L Triton

I have a 2005 F150 SuperCrew with a 5.4L Triton V8. I bought this truck brand new. I have had this truck for about 18 months and have about 19K miles on it. about 6000 miles ago, I noticed that about 2000 miles into an oil change, I needed to add a quart of oil. I bring it to the dealership for all maintenance. I told them about it and they started an oil consumption test. It appears that it goes through approximately 3/4 of a quart every 1000 miles.
After the results of the test, the guy at the dealership said it was excessive. Now, he is telling me its normal. If this is normal, this will be the first vehicle I have ever owned that needed to have roughly 3 quarts of oil added to it before I changed the oil. IMO, that just does not smell right at all.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course they will say its normal, right up until the warranty goes out, then they'll say you need to have it fixed. Do you have documentation of the first consumption study? If so, call Ford and start complaining.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I too have a 2005 that uses about 3/4 of a quart in 3000 miles. I find any useage abnormal, never had a car that used oil. I am extremely dissappointed. Just what is normal? I have a Lexus, and a mercedes that uses 0 between changes. The Lexus has 131k miles and the mercedes 175k miles.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:48 PM
So I went and picket it up from the dealer and according to the service guy, Ford considers 1 quart per 1000 miles in limits. Anything above that is not. I have started the documentation process and based thier figures, I am going through about 1.5quarts per 3500 miles, which IMO is still way too high. So therefore I have to document all of the oil consumed.

Then again, these are their numbers. What happens if it was really over a quart when they added it in? I dont put it past them to falsify the amount.

What seems really fishy is the same service guy helped me out back two months ago and when they took the first reading of the oil consumption test, (which was about 2100 miles into the test), he said "yeah, thats low". They then took it in the back and came back with "oh, about 3/4 of a quart". The service guy said (back in October) "That seems pretty high". Now, its normal. He also tried to tell me that all manufacturers have limits. Subaru is 1 quart per 900 miles. I just dont buy that, I am sorry. I could see if you drive the hell out of it, but I dont. The truck rarely gets driven. I am lenore, any oil consumption is not normal. This is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has "drunk" oil.
Jason, you are probably correct, at 36001, they would probably say "Yeah, you got bad rings, the most it should consume is 1/4 quart per 1000 miles", thats going to be 1500 bucks."

Old 11-21-2006, 07:23 PM
You could pull the plugs and see how they look, nice and tan or carbon up and/or oily wet. Only problem with that is you open up another can or worms with the sparkplugs issue??

You could have a leak somewhere, bad ring seal on a new motor??? or bad valve seals. Maybe even a egr problem or bad pcv valve.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
It has been Fords policy for years that 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles consumption is normal. Many would disagree and I'm one of them. So, what oil and viscosity are you running? Many PAO basestock oils don't do well in a Triton engine. Not all Tritons are finicky about the oil but some are just worse than a woman. Lets see if we can find a commonality with the oils you are using. Please post the brand of oil, viscosity and general driving habits (short trips, drive it like you stole it, like your grandad, etc)

Old 11-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Maybe they didn't add enought oil on the last oil change. Next time it's due an oil change try doing it yourself that way you'll know for sure how much oil in it.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I am on my six ford vehicle and have put well over 100,000 miles on three of them and I have never added the first drop of oil to any of those vehicles(1993 Ranger = 189,000 miles, 1990 Tempo = 120,000 miles, 2000 F150 =110,000 miles, 2002 Escape = 70,000 miles, 2003 Ranger = 50,000 miles, and 2005 F150 = 20,000 miles). But, if I were you I would raise hell until they fixed this problem.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the 97-03s, the official spec is 1 quart in 900 miles.

Ford's official spec from the '05 factory service manual:

Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

Nearly all engines consume oil, which is essential for normal lubrication of the cylinder bore walls and pistons and rings. Determining the level of oil consumption may require testing by recording how much oil is being added over a given set of miles.

Customer driving habits greatly influence oil consumption. Mileage accumulated during towing or heavy loading generates extra heat. Frequent short trips, stop-and-go type traffic or extensive idling, prevent the engine from reaching normal operating temperature. This prevents component clearances from reaching specified operating ranges.

The following diagnostic procedure may be utilized to determine internal oil consumption. Make sure that the concern is related to internal oil consumption, and not external leakage, which also consumes oil. Verify there are no leaks before carrying out the test. Once verified, the rate of internal oil consumption can be tested.

A new engine may require extra oil in the early stages of operation. Internal piston-to-bore clearances and sealing characteristics improve as the engine breaks in. Engines are designed for close tolerances and do not require break-in oils or additives. Use the oil specified in the Owner Guide. Ambient temperatures may determine the oil viscosity specification. Verify that the correct oil is being used for the vehicle in the geographic region in which it is driven.

Basic Pre-checks

For persistent complaints of oil consumption, interview the customer to determine the oil consumption characteristics. If possible, determine the brand and grade of oil currently in the oil pan. Look at the oil filter or oil-change station tags to determine if Ford-recommended maintenance schedules have been followed. Make sure that the oil has been changed at the specified mileage intervals. If vehicle mileage is past the first recommended drain interval, the OEM production filter should have been changed.
Ask how the most current mileage was accumulated. That is, determine whether the vehicle was driven under the following conditions:
Extended idling or curbside engine operation
Stop-and-go traffic or taxi operation
Towing a trailer or vehicle loaded heavily
Frequent short trips (engine not up to normal operating temperature)
Excessive throttling or high engine-rpm driving
Verify that there are no external leaks. If necessary, review the diagnostic procedure under Engine Oil Leaks in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section.
Inspect the crankcase ventilation system for:
disconnected hoses at the valve cover or throttle body.
loose or missing valve cover fill cap.
missing or incorrectly seated engine oil level indicator.
incorrect or dirty PCV valve.
a PCV valve grommet unseated in the valve cover (if so equipped)
Inspect for signs of sludge. Sludge affects PCV performance and can plug or restrict cylinder head drainback wells. It can also increase oil pressure by restricting passages and reducing the drainback capability of piston oil control rings. Sludge can result from either excessive water ingestion in the crankcase or operation at extremely high crankcase temperatures.
Inspect the air filter for dirt, sludge or damage. A hole in the filter element will allow unfiltered air to bypass into the air induction system. This can cause premature internal wear (engine dusting), allowing oil to escape past rings, pistons, valves and guides.
If the engine is hot or was recently shut down, wait at least 5 minutes to allow the oil to drain back. Ask the customer if this requirement has been followed. Adding oil without this wait period can cause an overfill condition, leading to excessive oil consumption and foaming which may cause engine damage.
Make sure the oil level indicator (dipstick) is correctly and fully seated in the indicator tube. Remove the oil level indicator and record the oil level.
To be continued in a minute....

Old 11-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The rest of it in 5....4....3....2.....1....

Detailed Pre-checks

Check the thermostat opening temperature to make sure that the cooling system is operating at the specified temperature. If it is low, internal engine parts are not running at specified internal operating clearances.
Verify the spark plugs are not oil saturated. Oil leaking into one or more cylinders will appear as an oil soaked condition on the plug. If a plug is saturated, a compression check may be necessary at the conclusion of the oil consumption test.
Oil Consumption Test

Once all of the previous conditions are met, carry out an oil consumption test.

Drain the engine oil and remove the oil filter. Install a new manufacturer-specified oil filter. Make sure the vehicle is positioned on a level surface. Refill the oil pan to a level one quart (liter) less than the specified fill level, using manufacturer-specified oil.
Run the engine for 3 minutes (if hot) or 10 minutes (if cold). Allow for a minimum 5-minute drainback period and then record the oil level shown on the oil level indicator. Place a mark on the backside of the oil level indicator noting the oil level location.
Add the final 1 quart (liter) to complete the normal oil fill. Restart the engine and allow it to idle for 2 minutes. Shut the engine down.
After a 5-minute drainback period, record the location of the oil level again. Mark the oil level indicator with the new oil level location. (Note: Both marks should be very close to the MIN-MAX upper and lower limits or the upper and lower holes on the oil level indicator. These marks will exactly measure the engine's use of oil, with a one quart differential between the new marks.) Demonstrate to the customer that the factory-calibrated marks on the dipstick are where the oil should fall after an oil change with the specified fill amount. Explain however, that this may vary slightly between MIN-MAX or the upper and lower holes on the oil level indicator.
Record the vehicle mileage.
Advise the customer that oil level indicator readings must be taken every 320 km (200 miles) or weekly, using the revised marks as drawn. Remind the customer that the engine needs a minimum 5-minute drainback for an accurate reading and that the oil level indicator must be firmly seated in the tube prior to taking the reading.
When the subsequent indicator readings demonstrate a full quart (liter) has been used, record the vehicle mileage. The mileage driven between the 2 readings should not be less than 2,400 km (1,500 miles). The drive cycle the vehicle has been operated under must be considered when making this calculation. It may be necessary to have the customer bring the vehicle in for a periodic oil level indicator reading to closely monitor oil usage.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:44 PM
can you use syn. oil in a 5.4 eng.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by eyegore
can you use syn. oil in a 5.4 eng.
Sure, but you won't find a better oil for it than the Motorcraft 5-20 Blend.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM
5-20 seems rather light. the oil cap reads 5-20, but the man gives a different range of oil base on temp. wich is the best to use.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
These engines have very close tolerances. I put 135,000 on my 2005 and when I sold it, still did not use oil. All it ever had was the 5-20 blend. Oil would still be clean,too. Uness you are in Alaska or Tropics, I would use the Ford recommended oil.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:44 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by eyegore
wich is the best to use.
Motorcraft 5W20 semi-synthetic with a Motorcraft FL-820S filter.

Quick Reply: OIL CONSUMPTION-2005 5.4L Triton