Did my timing chain really jump??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
BTW- I have know idea why the the OP thinks the Timing chain has jumped. That just doesn't happen. If so, that's news to me.
He has a CPS problem. Change the sensor.
Very true- unless he bought 1 of the only 3 that they built that did it!
Worked with a guy for about 10 years that had a lot of experience that he didn't really need. He was so hyper about his work that he was always tearing things apart that he had just put together. He ran his own car in when he was a little slow and yanked the heads and had the mechanics grind the valves because of losing 1 cyl. pretty much. Figured it had to be burned valves. The mechanics ground 'em but told him there was nothing wrong. When back together and it ran exactly the same, he discovered it had NO LOBE on one cam position. Typical Chebby!
Another time he yanked the pan to replace the rod bearings because he had a knock for about 3 seconds at start. When the bearings LOOKED (and mic'd standard) new at 175 K mi. he put new ones in anyway and it was the same when he was done. Come to find out it was a lifter clattering til it got oil. As stated, he was plenty experienced! SLOW DOWN boys, your goin' too fast!

It's been online, since last Friday. I've been meaning to update that thread.
Hooray!!! I'm proud of Ya Brew! Happy days ahead!

Last edited by code58; 03-05-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by BlackOut07
I do have the ability to datalog with my x3 and view them, does anyone know how i could determine if my engine timing was off via datalog?
I'm using an old version of Live Link (4.0.30), works fine for my older truck, but I do see that you can log duty cycle for each bank individually, then compare?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a bad cam sensor connection really cause that one side to run so rough?

Old 03-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
Very true- unless he bought 1 of the only 3 that they built that did it!
Worked with a guy for about 10 years that had a lot of experience that he didn't really need. He was so hyper about his work that he was always tearing things apart that he had just put together. He ran his own car in when he was a little slow and yanked the heads and had the mechanics grind the valves because of losing 1 cyl. pretty much. Figured it had to be burned valves. The mechanics ground 'em but told him there was nothing wrong. When back together and it ran exactly the same, he discovered it had NO LOBE on one cam position. Typical Chebby!
Another time he yanked the pan to replace the rod bearings because he had a knock for about 3 seconds at start. When the bearings LOOKED (and mic'd standard) new at 175 K mi. he put new ones in anyway and it was the same when he was done. Come to find out it was a lifter clattering til it got oil. As stated, he was plenty experienced! SLOW DOWN boys, your goin' too fast!
Damn man, was that guy suicidal ? Hope not!
Hooray!!! I'm proud of Ya Brew! Happy days ahead!
Thanks man! Yes, -I'm proud of me as well.

Think I'll have a party and invite a bunch of babes ehh

Uhh, know any ?

I'm not as familiar w/3 valves, but I believe they have a chain tensioner of some kind per side; other than the guides, a full blown tensioner. Even if that snapped and you lost your guides, I doubt it would jump. If it did, consider yourself lucky to have all your valves on that side. IF it jumped once, it will again, then you wouldn't be so lucky, - not twice. The chains should outlast the engine.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Wouldnt you be able to set it to tdc, pull the valve cover and check that both cam gear markings are positioned correctly. I know nothing about timing a mod engine. Just thought Id throw that out there.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 AM
=jbrew;4795179] Damn man, was that guy suicidal ? Hope not!
Nah, just the poster child for "measure once, cut twice"

Think I'll have a party and invite a bunch of babes ehh

Uhh, know any ?
Yea, but all the ones in Mi. can out bench press ya and have really hairy arms. Go across the state line. At least they shave the top side of their arms there!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Not sure why you are thinking the timing chain jumped. If the timing was off you would be seeing a P0011/0012 and or P0021/0022. Sounds like bad sensors/sensors or wiring. Try unplugging the cam sensors and running it and see what happens.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would possibly pull the valve cover and check the cam phaser. If the cam sensor failed it would have showed up when you switched the two. However if the wiring is bad it would be another thing. Heres what I can find on the PCM via AllData..

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the pinouts! I have continuity across all sensor connections to the pcm plugs. Im pretty sure i have a tensioner issue that may have caused a chain to slip. I will find out soon though. Thanks again.

I did just realize this post made it seem like i was fixing to tear into things. I meant "soon enough", in other words afteri have tried everything else.

Last edited by BlackOut07; 03-07-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Yea, but all the ones in Mi. can out bench press ya and have really hairy arms. Go across the state line. At least they shave the top side of their arms there!

Sounds like you have a fetish there 58. Well, your under suspicion anyway

You know what hairy arms means... .. YES! Bush Beer Night. Hows that commercial go ? Wait, I got it , -

Busshh, - head for the mountains, - because yuh stink! --- Busshh Beer.

Well okay, I know that's close anyway and yes, I may have had a few Canadian pops earlier

Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
You seem hell bent on ripping into your engine. The codes you listed have nothing to do with engine timing. if the wiring is good then I would try replacing at least one cam sensor to see if the code comes back.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by kevhead75
You seem hell bent on ripping into your engine. The codes you listed have nothing to do with engine timing. if the wiring is good then I would try replacing at least one cam sensor to see if the code comes back.
Yea, I gave up trying to convince him. Not sure why he's here (?), since he's not listening to anyone. Don't waste your good advise and time on this one.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, I gave up trying to convince him. Not sure why he's here (?), since he's not listening to anyone. Don't waste your good advise and time on this one.
Not listening to anyone?? I dont know how you came up with that. Irons1n was able to provide me with pinouts, and i thanked him. Im not wasting anyones time either, if so please tell me how. Im not hell bent on tearing into my engine, never said i was either, just figuring worse case scenarios while i trouble shoot the small things so it doesnt take me twice as long to get this fixed. Who the hell wants to go through the trouble of pulling half the engine apart without checking all other simpler possibilities before doing so? Lol Sure aint me I only came on strong about the timing because most "online" research i did pointed to that, glad to find out that is a rare occurance, so thank you!

Im Just researching ahead to try make the best of my time. I appreciate what help has been given so far, and the notions that it is not timing related. I did not ignore those commemts btw if i implied that. Im trying every possibility before i consider actually getting into the thick s**t. Im still learning alot about these engines, so bare with me guys.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:11 AM
so bare with me guys.

This thread has taken on a new twist. Now I know Brew might be thinkin a little about it, now that he's got a few of those hairy armed girls rounded up, but I think the rest of us are gonna sit this out from a distance!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:53 PM

Yea, let us know what it ends up being, - "the problem".

I have to sort these girls out. - They're getting tangled up with one another.

Quick Reply: Did my timing chain really jump??