Which spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which spark plugs?

It's time to get spark plugs and I'm trying to decide which ones to get. I am either going to get the Motorsport SP515's or the Champion 7989's.

Let me hear your vote and why or if you have had luck with something else that you like better.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Just do not get E3s. Personally, I think these modular engines are happiest with the Motorcraft and that is all I have run. You see guys getting 130,000 out of a set, though I change mine at about 75,000. If you just have to go with a one piece, then go with the Champion.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Modular engines are picky about plugs. Motorcraft plugs are always best. The newer plugs are designed with a smaller shank and they redesigned the way they attach the shank they say. I'd stick with them..

Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM
I vote Champion... never gonna break. BTW, I thought it had been proven the new Moto plugs DIDN'T have a tapered shank after all... but if you use anti-sieze, plater problems are unlikely. I second... no E3s.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JimAllen
I vote Champion... never gonna break. BTW, I thought it had been proven the new Moto plugs DIDN'T have a tapered shank after all... but if you use anti-sieze, plater problems are unlikely. I second... no E3s.
That's correct the motorcraft plug shank has not been redesigned I've been told. I've also been told that some Champions have been damaged out of the box the ceramic has been cracked. So champions may be the way to go after all long as you look at them with a magnifier glass they may be ok. I personally might stick with the motorcraft but i dont have a 3v. Maybe if I had to extract a few plug shanks I'd change my mind. I have a real old issue with Champion plugs going clear back to the 70's so I just have never used them since then.
A board member sent me a message informing me he had actually measured and I believe him. They are unchanged..

Last edited by jethat; 02-12-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by jethat
I have a real old issue with Champion plugs going clear back to the 70's so I just have never used them since then.
Yeah, me too. Considering Champions (we used to call them "Cham-*****") kinda made the bile come up my throat. As with so many other things, times and car parts change. Some for the better... some for the worse. My lesson is that I have to go back and challenge old views and have a new look every once in a while.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Champions, everyone who has a 3 valve in the family has these and great results. 1 piece is prefered but going Motorcraft (which my wife's Explorer has) required me to use anti-seize, that's all. E3's are garbage, at least for 3v Ford's.

Quick Reply: Which spark plugs?