Spark Plug Stuck - Dealer Sticks Me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Stuck - Dealer Sticks Me?

Help - The Ford dealer has my 2006 4x4 and can't get the last plug out. All 8 plugs broke off and now the last one will not come out. He thinks that they will have to take the head off to get it out. Price could reach $4500.00
My truck has 99k miles and Ford recomends we change our plugs at 100K miles.
This my friends, is a defective plug that should have been recalled by Ford.
Any advice...... Any help from Ford?
They want to know what I want to do Monday. They even talked about replacing the motor....7K plus,

Some tune-up, the truck was running pretty good when I took it in. I made the last payment 3 months ago.....Now this!

Old 01-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your dealer is so stupid they haven't learned how to extract broken plugs you need to get it out of there ASAP. This is a well known issue and a qulified dealer could extract that plut for less then $100 per broken plug. I bet your dealer didnt even follow the Ford spark plug removal TSB. Call a wrecker get it out of there.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Spark plugs that are not a safety hazard, hence no recall. The dealer is inept. Average Joe's can do these plugs easily when properly prepared.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 PM
You may be right.... the bill is about $1300 as of now. They used two different size extract tools but can't get the last one.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Ask your dealer if they have tried using the Lisle #65600 tool. It works great & Lisle has a tech line that gives free advice. Can buy the tool for 50$.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...le&kw=LIS65600

Old 01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by slidejob
Ask your dealer if they have tried using the Lisle #65600 tool. It works great & Lisle has a tech line that gives free advice. Can buy the tool for 50$.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...le&kw=LIS65600
Ok I will. I think that I do need another dealer/mech. to look at it. No other trouble with the truck. She is got tons of add ons and I wanted to get 200k or more miles out of her.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 PM

First- Ford has lowered the plug change interval. I change mine every 60K.

Second- Their is a "How To" article titled "New method to extract porcelain from broken spark plugs" - some nice little tricks.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...ark-plugs.html

Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Scooterdog
First- Ford has lowered the plug change interval. I change mine every 60K.

Second- Their is a "How To" article titled "New method to extract porcelain from broken spark plugs" - some nice little tricks.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...ark-plugs.html
I got 170K out of my original set of plugs, lots of highway miles. The method that fellow describes using the Loctite product is similar to the last resort methods suggested by Lisle before removing the head. Having to wait for the glue to dry with multiple broken plugs is not ideal, I believe Loctite wants 24hrs for curing. Everyone that I have heard who has used the Lisle tool has always extracted the broken plug. When I did mine @170K, the left bank all came out, the right bank all broke. I soaked those plugs for a day before trying to remove.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nine times out of ten if it won't come out with the Lisle tool its because they still have a short piece of the wire electrode intact. The wire will bend within the shield from the pusher tool and prevent the tap from screwing in far enough to catch and pull the shield out. I have used a medium size flat screwdriver forced by hand down into the shield then rotate the screwdriver back and forth until that wire breaks off. The tap will then screw in far enough to extract the shield. The Lisle tool has never failed me out of many trucks and dozens of plug removals that others have broken plugs off in. If they broke all 8 off then they have no clue what they are doing...Just my experience. Sounds like someone wants to make some money this is not a major repair job anymore using the Lisle 65600.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Nine times out of ten if it won't come out with the Lisle tool its because they still have a short piece of the wire electrode intact. The wire will bend within the shield from the pusher tool and prevent the tap from screwing in far enough to catch and pull the shield out. I have used a medium size flat screwdriver forced by hand down into the shield then rotate the screwdriver back and forth until that wire breaks off. The tap will then screw in far enough to extract the shield. The Lisle tool has never failed me out of many trucks and dozens of plug removals that others have broken plugs off in. If they broke all 8 off then they have no clue what they are doing...Just my experience. Sounds like someone wants to make some money this is not a major repair job anymore using the Lisle 65600.
Good tip on the screwdriver deal. You can feel the pusher tool getting harder to turn, then you hear a faint snap, & tool gets easy as you bottom out. Literally, it takes 2 minutes to extract a broken plug shield. How they can get away with such extravagant prices amazes me.

One other tip, use antisieze on the shield section only for easier removal in the future. Be sure to keep it off the electrode.

Last edited by slidejob; 01-29-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Steel
Help - The Ford dealer has my 2006 4x4 and can't get the last plug out. All 8 plugs broke off and now the last one will not come out. He thinks that they will have to take the head off to get it out. Price could reach $4500.00
My truck has 99k miles and Ford recomends we change our plugs at 100K miles.
This my friends, is a defective plug that should have been recalled by Ford.
Any advice...... Any help from Ford?
They want to know what I want to do Monday. They even talked about replacing the motor....7K plus,

Some tune-up, the truck was running pretty good when I took it in. I made the last payment 3 months ago.....Now this!
Local dealer charged me two fifty to remove 7 broken plugs and put back together w/ the plugs I supplied. I guess I hit it lucky.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Well, it just got worse. I was on my way to the dealer when they called to tell me that the shield has pushed down into the cylinder. They did use the Lisle tool and the top ring of the shield snapped off. They let it soak over the weekend and this morning tried one more time and pushed it in. Current bill $1200.00. Remove the head and get the shield out......$4300.00. They had 3 different mechs working on my truck. The worse tune-up they have ever seen. One comfort tho, a new eng is only $7800.00......
If I buy the bullet, will someone shoot me in the head?

Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM
how are we haveing to pay for the dealer breaking the plug off and then saying the customer has to pay for there fault and or ford negligence of faulty plug.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Well, it just got worse. I was on my way to the dealer when they called to tell me that the shield has pushed down into the cylinder. They did use the Lisle tool and the top ring of the shield snapped off. They let it soak over the weekend and this morning tried one more time and pushed it in. Current bill $1200.00. Remove the head and get the shield out......$4300.00. They had 3 different mechs working on my truck. The worse tune-up they have ever seen. One comfort tho, a new eng is only $7800.00......
That is just terrible. I still think that had they done it right, could have been avoided.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Those techs are idiots....

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Stuck - Dealer Sticks Me?