Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 Ford F150
05 f150 supercrew 5.4 spark plugs

Bought truck used with 136k on it to replace my 03 supercrew 4.6 that was totaled in a accident on nov 17 [t-boned on drivers side]. Getting code P0420, Catalyst system efficiency below threshold [bank1]. Was told #2 has misfire. Was advised to replace spark plugs. Been reading all the horror stories about these plugs breaking upon removal. Couple Questions, I am in Virginia Beach, Va and was wondering if anyone on here is near my area, that might be able to help me with this because I am busted up a bit from the accident? Also, what are the best reliable replacment plugs for this engine? Read pro's and con's about the Champion #7989, and the Motorcraft SP-515 Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Richard

Last edited by rman550; 12-10-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: word spacing
Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Changing the plugs is pretty easy even if they break, that is as long as you have the extractor tool. I think the stories make the plug change sound worse than it really is.

I mean if it breaks you just use the porcelain pusher tool, takes maybe a minute or so depending on how efficiently you work. Thread the tap rod into the plug, takes another minute or so. Pull it out, bam done, onto the next one! lol
Old 12-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Garage is empty, add now

x2,thats right if you have the lisle tool you wont even care if you break plugs left and right,just follow the instructions.(dont get into it with out an extraction tool) I would go with the motorcraft,the champion 7989 is around 20 dlls. Good luck
Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2003 Ford F150
People have been having mixed luck with the Champions. I'd use SP-515's.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Garage is empty, add now

I run a bottle of sea foam threw the truck to remove any carbon buildup around the base of the plug (inside the head on the shaft) that makes the breaking less likely. I have not had any to break so far and I've never used any thing but a socket and extension. If you are banged up from the wreck you will prolly not want to try this because it takes some maneuvering around the engine compartment. If I were close I'd help you. But if you can't find anyone you may want to take it to a shop and have them do it.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:31 AM