2005 5.4 3v loss of power.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 5.4 3v loss of power.

Hello,

First off a little history on the truck. 2005 5.4 3v 4x2 with around 58,000 miles on it. Oil changed regularly with 5w20, mostly Castrol Syntec and always a Motorcraft filter (FL820s I think). Regular maintenance to include cleaning the MAF and changing the fuel filter pretty regularly. The truck is mostly used for short trips back and forth to work, maybe 5 miles each way around town.

Now on to the problem:

Today, after backing out of the driveway and taking off, I experienced a total loss of engine power. The engine didnt shut off, didnt run rough or anything like that, but when I would step on the gas, it wouldnt even get out of its own way. It kind of felt like the truck was starting out in a higher gear, but it wasnt. To check this, I put the truck in 1st and drove, still no power. After going a little down the street, coming up to my first stop, I also had a harder than usual time stopping the truck. I didnt have any alerts on my edge or on the dash guages, letting me know of a problem. I pulled over, shut the truck off, then restarted, same thing. After driving it for just a bit longer, it started to warm up and "most" of the power returned.

Any ideas? Any input welcome, please.

On a side note, anyone that has had their truck go into "Fail Safe Mode", that is exactly what it felt like driving it today. Mine did it a few years back, and I had to have the Throttle body replaced, according to Ford. Also, the truck has sat parked since Tuesday evening and it has been pretty cold here, pretty cold for Florida anyways.

Thanks again,

Tom

Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You should probably clean the throttle body.....

Eventhough you say your edge showed no alerts did you check for dtc codes anyways?

Old 12-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Yep, clean the TB and the MAF.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
You should probably clean the throttle body.....

Eventhough you say your edge showed no alerts did you check for dtc codes anyways?
Hey 88racing,

Yes, I did check to see if there were any DTC's, but didnt find any.

Is there anything tricky about cleaning the throttle body on the 3v engines? I thought I remember reading something, that you could mess something up bad, since they are drive by wire setup's.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 12-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Yep, clean the TB and the MAF.
I had cleaned the MAF just a few days before it did this. I had also put a 20oz bottle of Techron in the fuel tank.

Also, some new happenings. Yesterday I started the truck to move it out of the driveway. while starting it, I was looking in my side view mirrow, and saw a huge puff of white'ish smoke shoot out of my passenger side exhaust pipe. This kind of makes me think injector, thinking that one of them might have been stuck open, leaking gas. I had one replaced a year or so ago, but the symptoms on it were different. I think it was stuck closed though.

Any input?

Thanks, as always,

Tom

Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Devildog101
Hey 88racing,

Yes, I did check to see if there were any DTC's, but didnt find any.

Is there anything tricky about cleaning the throttle body on the 3v engines? I thought I remember reading something, that you could mess something up bad, since they are drive by wire setup's.

Thanks,
Tom
Nothing to really mess up...... https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...ttle-body.html

The only thing I've seen is people not getting the connector hooked back up correctly...

Old 12-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I would get the injectors checked, quickly, if one is sticking open, can hydrolock the engine and do major damage. Usually, if it is an injector sticking open, it will have the symtoms of a flooding engine.

Quick Reply: 2005 5.4 3v loss of power.