2002 5.4L - Which Replacement Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 5.4L - Which Replacement Fuel Pump?

Hello All,

I'm pretty new here - hopefully you guys can help me out. My truck has right at 90K miles on it and did the old "turns over fine but won't start" deal the other day. It has done it once before and I let it sit for a few minutes and it started right up. This time it didn't start so I had it taken to a local shop. They let it sit overnight and it started up the next morning no problem.

They tested the fuel pressure and said it is low - spec says 28 to 54psi when running and it's showing 30psi. I had them replace the fuel filter and re-test and the pressure is the same. I wasn't real happy with the way they handled the whole thing so I got a quote from another local shop to replace the fuel pump. They quoted me 200.00 for labor and between 300 and 400 for the part. I don't have a problem with that but if I'm going to do it I'd like to get the best bang for the buck on the pump I can so I checked summit and they have several different pumps that supposedly work for my truck - see the link below:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Anybody have a recommendation from this list or another source? If I can get a better pump for the same/less money I'd like to do that since I plan on keeping this truck for a while. Also any thoughts on what else might be causing the starting issue? It only has done it twice and both times were in cool weather where I had driven only a short distance - maybe a mile or so down to the convenience store - and when I go to re-start it turns over but won't fire. Both times I was low on gas too - just below 1/4 tank.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Stick with OEM. Rock Auto may have them with pretty fair prices.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=6256

Old 12-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, aftermarket is aftermarket for a reason, the manufacturer didn't feel it was good enough to build the truck with. In this day and age, when you can buy so many OEM parts at a discount I've never figured out why so many people immediately think aftermarket. I almost always choose OEM if it can be bought at a reasonable price, not retail!

Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I normally buy from rockauto, but the only motorcraft they list is the hole fuel-pump assembly. You don't need it and it expensive!
They have Bosh on there for a good price.

I run Walbros in my truck, you can get them cheep here.
You truck takes the (#TRE-342)
http://treperformance.com/FuelPumps/...Pumps.html#385
There is a lot of people on different sites running them in there performance trucks and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with them.

As for your link, the only one that is a known to be good pump is the aromotiv. And of course it's one of the expensive ones.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 AM
If you want to go the OEM route, I have always had good luck with Amazon. I have recently done 2 fuel pumps in 2 of my F150s... my '97 4x4 with 4.6 and my 2000 HD Edition with the non-SC 5.4. The pump is Bosche 68131 and the filter is Bosche 68015. With the "super saver" free shipping I think the total was around $76 and made it to the house within a few days. I was suprised both trucks called for the same part #, but as long as you don't have the Lightning, 2002-03 HD Edition, or have any hi-perf additions, this seems to be the pump they used in most 97-03 f-150s...

Hey phil6608...are you the guy in Stanton with the parts on CL from time to time? If so...Hi neighbor!...I'm in Stanton too...

Old 12-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lilgreenjeep2
Hey phil6608...are you the guy in Stanton with the parts on CL from time to time? If so...Hi neighbor!...I'm in Stanton too...
Hi there,
yes I am.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Hey thanks guys - this really helps.
Looks like they are quoting me a whole new pump assembly which it doesn't sound like I need.
I'll talk to them again and see if we can get that price down a bit by doing the pump only.

I do like that aeromotive pump

Quick Reply: 2002 5.4L - Which Replacement Fuel Pump?