Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 07-19-2001, 11:58 AM

Starter or cellonoid going bad?

I've got a 1987 F150 6 cyl. with 67000 original miles. Sometimes when starting, all I hear is one click when I turn the key. Turning the key back then forward again, the truck starts right up. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-2001, 01:15 PM

Vehicle: 1994 Ford F150
Solenoid

Sounds like the solenoid and besides they are alot cheaper than a battery these days. They are easy to change out too. Good luck.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean
Old 07-20-2001, 01:12 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150 4x4
I believe that click you hear IS the solenoid. You've either got a bad (corroded) connection somewhere or the starter is going. try cleaning up the cable terminals on the solenoid and starter. It's if you DON"T hear a click, then your solenoid is shot.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Correct Mashie, if you hear a click your solenoid is working. Check all of the wires from the Battery to the solenoid and starter. Make sure they are clean and tight.
Old 07-20-2001, 10:48 AM

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I read through my shop manual last night and it doesn't mention a solenoid, but does talk about a starter relay. Is this the selonoid?
Old 07-20-2001, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 1994 Ford F150
Cool

If you follow the positive cable from the battery, it should lead you to a black round piece of equipment that is mounted on your inside passenger fender and probably about 1 or 2 feet from battery. There is two posts on it, the one side comes from your battery and the other side goes to the starter. This is what I call the solenoid. I have never heard of a starter relay but that maybe right on the starter itself. I assumed that you checked the connections already and was still getting the clicking in my previous post. Sorry !! I have never had any problems with my starter on either the '87 that I had or the '94 now. The '94 was giving me problems after I put the chip in. Turn the key and nothing, go wiggle the positive on the battery and go try again and it would start right up. Bought a new battery, still the same problem. Went and bought a new solenoid, replaced and haven't had a problem since. If memory serves me correctly, I also change the solenoid out of my '87 when I had it. Hope this helps.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean
Old 07-20-2001, 03:56 PM

Yes it is the same thing. Relay is actually more accurate then solenoid but solenoid has been used for years.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:35 PM

Not to ruffle any feathers---It has both, I believe all convential systems have both a starter relay and starter solenoid...

The starter relay swithes large amounts of amperage with a small signal wire....

The starter solenoid is an electric-mechanical device which engages the starter bendix in to the flywheel or flexplate...
It uses a electro-magnetic field with a metallic plunger to pull a arm on a pivot which engages the bendix...

Not trying to be smart just explaining the Ford starter system 101
2000 F250 PSD Auto Xcab LS 22.67mpg (best)over 21avg, Propane (right on), 3.5 DP Exhaust SS, AFE Coolair Induction, Transgo shift kit, 6 Gallons Amsoil, Mag Hytec deep pan, 80K, 2200watt Bi-Amp stereo, Rancho 9000, 255/85-16-Have my own shop-looking for 13's...5 different exhaust systems, 3 different chips...getting traction bars and suspension upgrades..

Performance--388+hp 818ftlbs, conservative, 9.1 sec 1/8 75mph, melting the tires, low 14's
2004 CC SB AUTO 6L
1969 Mach1 351C 4spd 3.50 LS Autocrosser, Negative Roll Kit, Sectioned lower arms, Centerlines 15X10 w/50's, Tri-brace, Monte Carlo bar, Rear Stabilizer Bar, Lowered(can you say on the ground), MSD Electronic Dist., Aluminum Intake, Holley 600
Old 07-20-2001, 06:23 PM

Mach 1 is right about the newer trucks. The 87 solenoid/relay switches battery directly to the starter & the spin of the starter "screws" out the drive gear with no other assist. The 97's on have a solenoid on the starter that pulls the drive gear in. Mike's problem is probably a bad starter or cable.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:06 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F-150
Send a message via ICQ to Pickup Man Send a message via Yahoo to Pickup Man
Had this problem before on my 1986 Bronco, turned out it was a bad cable. I'm glad that's all it was, and I hope that's all it is for you too, man.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:04 AM

Yes Mach 1 is correct. The true solenoid is on top of the starter and the relay is usually elsewhere (fender between battery and starter for example). The benefit of a relay is you can switch large amounts of current with a smaller "signal" or current. The relay energizes the solenoid which engages a gear on the starter with the gear ring on the flywheel. A lot of mechanics still call the relay a solenoid. Also as redlariet pointed out not all starters have solenoid actuators some are screw driven by the starter rotation.
The click you hear is your relay and your starter is not getting enough or any current to turn over. It could still be the relay even though it clicks if the contacts are burnt but this is rare. I would check cables and the starter.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:14 PM

Thanks to all that responded. The truck has been running fine the last week, I double checked all the battery cables and connections on the starter. probably just a loose connection. Thanks again to all who responded......
Old 08-02-2001, 01:24 AM

I have the same truck and same year. It does that click thing too, but somtimes it starts but it keeps turning over. Is my silonoid sticking??
Old 08-02-2001, 01:24 AM