Extremely loud fan noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-1999, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys I'm from South Florida too and now live and work in Bahrain in the Middle East. Summer average temperatures are about 120-125 and my 1999 makes no noise from the fan at all.

------------------
Chevy, I don't think so Al

Old 07-26-1999, 01:00 PM
Question

Gaudenti, in regards to the electric fan you installed, a couple of questions.
1. Did you notice any improvement in performance or fuel mileage?
2. What fan did you install? Did you remove the fan shroud?
3. Does the fan come on automatically with the AC as well as engine temp? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-26-1999, 10:36 PM
Seacrow's understanding and explaination of the fan assembly is correct. My 99 4.2 auto makes lots of fan noise on occasion, and so did every other 99 4.2 I test drove. Some reviews that were done in the auto mags spoke about the "busy" sound that the 4.2 makes, and one went so far as to use the noise as an illustration of why you should buy the 4.6! Personally I kinda like the noise, it makes the truck's 4.2 sound like the big 5.4 I couldn't afford!! j.b.

------------------

Old 07-27-1999, 12:36 AM
Tim the Tool Man,

Ship your truck back to the States and we'll get Ford to fix it when they fix mine.

Old 07-27-1999, 01:05 PM
"You do realize the thermostat keeps that cold water from flowing into the engine- don't you."

Of course, but...umm...it's still blowing cold air on the engine! Again, the main reason I went to an electric is that most of the time the fan is not needed. It only runs when iding too long or stuck in stop-and-go traffic.

Bill_Aquino:
1. Hard to say if there is a difference in mileage, I don't drive consistant enough to notice a small change. The engine does seem to rev easier, but that could be partly because it's not making as much noise.

2. I installed a 16" Perma-Cool High Performance Electric Fan (P/N 19115). I was going to mount the fan on the shroud, but the people at Perma-Cool recommend removing it and mounting the fan on the radiator. It's been working OK so I'll leave it. I always have the option of adding a second (14") fan next to the 16".

3. You definitely want the fan to run when the A/C is on. It's as simple as adding a relay.

Hey, wait a minute. You said you had a couple of questions, that was three!

Danny

Quick Reply: Extremely loud fan noise?