Rough Idle

Old 06-10-1999, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Idle

I just bought my F150 and love the truck but at a stop, in drive, it idles kinda rough. Is this normal or typical for the F150? (this is my first Ford Truck - previously owned Chevys) It idles at about 500 rpms, and just kinda rumbles(shakes) a little every 5 seconds or so. Any help/comments would be appreciated.

MAK

------------------
'97 F150 Lariat 4x4, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS, "The Green Monster"

Old 06-10-1999, 09:21 PM
MAC-
I had a 98/4.6/4x2 (I just traded for a 99 4x4 5.4) I was having same problem with my '98. Had it in the shop a couple of times, could not find anything. I pulled my plugs and checked the wires..all ok there.

I ran Texaco 93 octane for a couple of tanks then Texaco 89 from there on..it seemed to help. Give it a try

Steve

Old 06-11-1999, 08:21 AM
I have the same experience. Mine is on a 5.4 and tried everything. Changed plugs, using different gas,fuel injection cleaner. I had this idel problem before adding the superchip and still have it after adding the superchip.

------------------
97 F150 XLT, 5.4, EXTANG, SUPERCHIP,EDELBROCK SHOCKS,REAR SLIDER, GIBSON CAT-BACK,BOSCH +4,HELLWIG SWAY BAR,AIRAID.

Old 06-11-1999, 11:18 AM
My 98 4.6 does the same thing. I thought V-8's were supposed to be smoother than this at idle.

INDY: I didn't know you ever let that truck come to an idle. Thought you were too busy putting the hammer down running to the bank to cash all those moonlighting checks! ;-)

Old 06-11-1999, 09:59 PM
I had rough idle. It also had a miss at highway speeds. I took it to the Ford dealer and they hooked it up to the computer. Everything tested fine. They tried to tell me it was drive train proplems then it was internal engine problems then it was a vaccum leak. None of these was the problem. I had washed the engine and water had seeped in to the spark plug boots. The only problem was there was a little moisture in the spark plug boot. They wiped the moisture off with a rag and it runs great.

Old 06-12-1999, 12:12 AM
Mine was not really a rought idle as such. It was more of a little annoying vibration. My new 5.4 litre is doing the same thing. I'm going to try the Texaco trick on it. I think it was M. Troyer who had a post on Texaco gas and its cleaning properties, that's where I got the idea, but obviously rough idles have a lot of different causes.

When I started using Texaco, the vibration all but disappeared.

Old 06-12-1999, 12:35 AM
Dondo,

Thanks for the info. I use Texaco but am still on the tank of gas from the dealer, but will use the higher octane stuff for a while to see if it does the trick.

And while I'm here, I've been reading in a lot of these posts about the K&N airfilter. Can I simply change out the stock filter witht the K&N one or do I have to to the whole FIPK job? And what stores sell them? (I live in CA) Thanks

------------------
'97 F150 Lariat 4x4, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS, "The Green Monster"

Old 06-17-1999, 03:59 PM
RR
I just took my 97 150 w/5.4 to the shop for a rough idle. They replaced the left oxygen sensor. Perfect now. They said the right one will be going out soon due to the drip of the condensation from the ac dripping on it. They say that side takes about two days to fix because of all the junk on that side. It would idle and feel like it was gonna stall. It's okay now. Make sure you take your chip out before taking truck in. They don't understand it too well. They tried to tell me the warranty was void when they saw my chip on the computer. Sharp as marbles.
Randy.

Old 06-17-1999, 05:50 PM
MAK 3: I only added the K & N airfilter, about $50.
I found it by using the ole phone book and calling all the auto parts stores!!

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red,skid plates
leaky sliding rear window, Hard tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires
it came with sm. tires,Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp,
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch K&N air filter, superchip
3.55 LS, 40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 06-17-99).]

Old 06-22-1999, 03:30 PM
I have a slightly differnt idel problem. The manuel suggest that the engine be cranked without giving it any gas. When I do this the engine will crank and idle roughly then die. If I pat the gas once then try to crank I have no problems (I have done this with my previous trucks and had no problems). Is it my unfamiliarity with this engine or an underlying problem?

PS. I just traded my 78 F-100 4x4 for this 99 F-150. Never had a problem with the '78 400 except for its inability to pass a gas station without topping off.

------------------
99 F150 Lariat SC, 5.4, 3.55 LS, Superchipped, Full Window tint, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Gold, Factory Steps/Towing Package, Rear Slider

Old 06-22-1999, 10:33 PM
Tsquared: This is something I just never think about; I just crank the truck up. But sitting HERE trying to think about it, I'm pretty sure that I give the gas peddel a little push just as I'm starting up the beast,(turn key & then push gas) then I let off of it. No gas and it doesn't run, just hacks and dies. I do not give it gas before trying to crank it up though.

Old 06-23-1999, 02:40 PM
Thats odd, I dont press the gas before I start the engine and it runs fine (idle as well). You shouldn't have to push the gas pedal before starting the truck.

Tina, Tsquared,

Do either of you have the K&N Filter or FIPK?

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

Old 06-23-1999, 03:23 PM
To tell the truth... I really don't know as I really NEED to push the gas peddel. I've just always done it that way. Next time I start up, I'll try to remember and not push it and see... yes I have a K&N filter

Old 06-23-1999, 04:56 PM
I think I recall that for any fuel injected motor U should (not) give it gas. I have never given my F150 gas before starting. Before starting my Harley it is also injected, I don't give it gas and that is very hard to do after owning the old ones that if U didn't give them gas U will never get it started.

------------------
TRUCK BLACK 97 F150 XLT FlareSide SC. 4.6
MODS: Lowered 5 inches, SnugLid Hard Tanneau,
K&N plus air mods, Plat+4/8mm wires,
Prolong engin treatment, Bug&Rain guards.
My truck looks like Ford used it as a model
for the Lightning but mines LOWER!
JACKS ANTENNA HEAD The easiest MOD

[This message has been edited by Gary D Brittain (edited 06-23-1999).]

Old 06-24-1999, 11:42 AM
Gary,

Thats right, before EFI you used to be able to push in the pedal before starting (kinda like using choke on a lawn mower). But with these engines that is taken care of.

Tina,
You might be having the same problem some of the others are having with there K&N filters, if you have reoiled it, its possible some of the oil got sucked in and is causing the rought idle. You need to get a cleaner (not sure which one, do a search on the K&N), open the air intake, start the engine, and spray this stuff as its running. It will clean off excess oil that has been sucked in and built up. Anyone else with some technical expertise here that can help?

------------------
The Truck: 1997 Black F-150 Flareside. Regular Cab ORP and Towing Package
The Mods: K&N Filter, Eurolid Hard Tonneau and Ford Bug Deflector.
The Site:
Triton's 4.6 Liter Web Page
www.mindspring.com/~acbradley/index.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough Idle