2003 F150 5.4L engine and p1299 error code

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 F150 5.4L engine and p1299 error code

So I was driving to work.. thats how it usually starts every day and my 2003 F150 with a5.4L engine and 179,000 miles threw an oil pressure light and a service engine soon light. It then went into limp mode and I was just able to get off the road to a parking lot.

Engine temp gauge never spiked, radiator was not over boiling but the engine was abiout 2 qts low on oil. Antifreeze was old but not low or oily. I just changed the oil about 2 months ago so it should not have been that low. In the past its burned a quart every 3-4 thousand miles or so. Not greta but acceptable according to ford.

I was ble to fill the oil, and drive it the rest fio the day on and off without any problems. When I got home I looked up the error coded and it weas a P1299 overheatibg cylinder and I cleared it since it ran fine all day.

Early the next morning it happened again at the same spot! After work it drove fine.

Heres my theory - the cylinder, one or more may be hot. Its alwats had a bit of white smoke in the morning, especially when its cold. I think that my valve seals may be going out and oil is leaking into the cylinder all night when it sits for a long time and when I start it its a mixture of condensation and some oil burning off. It stops after the engine gets warm usually. I do not think its a head gasket but maybe the valve seals, some of them, that are leaking. Would the oil in the cylinder cause it to burn hotter and cause theover temp in the one or two cylindrs that trigger the p1299?

Help needed. I cannot afford to buy a new or a used car. Kids have to be fed and bills paid.

Any advice?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change them spark plugs

I don't know when you changed your plugs, but I would do that immediately. Take the vin number of your truck to the dealer and get the right plugs for that truck. Its a pain in the but to change those last two plugs in the back but its necessary. While your at it, take apart the connectors for all of your coil packs and fuel injectors spray them good with electronic cleanner then pack them with diaelectric grease before you put them back together. Then take out your mass flow sensor and spay it heavily with the electrnic cleaner do not touch the little wires on it. The method to my maddness is to get that truck running as smooth as I can first, then go from there.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe dielectric grease is non conductive . I wouldn't use it on those connectors.

Quick Reply: 2003 F150 5.4L engine and p1299 error code